400 injured by meteorite fall in Russian Urals

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2013, 03:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Just goes to show how unsafe the solar system is.

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/100-injured-by-meteorite-falls-in-Russian-Urals-4280682.php

Quote400 injured by meteorite falls in Russian Urals
| February 14, 2013 | Updated: February 15, 2013 2:28am

MOSCOW (AP) — A meteor streaked across the sky above Russia's Ural Mountains on Friday morning, causing sharp explosions and injuring more than 400 people, many of them hurt by broken glass.

Fragments of the meteor fell in a thinly populated area of the Chelyabinsk region, the Emergency Ministry said in a statement.

Interior Ministry spokesman Vadim Kolesnikov said more than 400 people had sought medical treatment after the blasts, and at least three had been hospitalized in serious condition. Many of the injuries were from glass broken by the explosions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

title bad, text good. Meteors are falling rocks, Meteorites are rocks that have fallen.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grinning_Colossus

This can only be a good omen for the year of the snake.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

The TRUTH (TM): American weapons test over Russia!

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20130215/179489080/Russian-Politician-Denies-Meteorite-Claims-US-Weapons-Tests.html

QuoteRussian Politician Denies Meteorite, Claims US Weapons Tests

MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti) – Russian nationalist lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky, long known for his flamboyance and outrageous remarks, said Friday that meteorite fragments had not rained down on Russia in the morning, but that the light flashes and tremors in several of the country's regions resulted from US weapons tests.

"Those aren't meteors falling, it's the Americans testing new weapons," Zhirinovsky, leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, told journalists several hours after the Emergencies Ministry began issuing statements on the incident, which has injured hundreds and damaged scores of buildings.

He also said US Secretary of State John Kerry had wanted to warn Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov about the "provocation" on Monday, but couldn't reach him – a reference to US State Department comments earlier this week that Kerry had spent several days trying to speak to Lavrov by phone to discuss North Korea and Syria.

Outer space has its own laws, Zhirinovsky went on.

"Nothing will ever fall out there," he said. "If [something] falls, it's people doing that. People are the instigators of wars, the provocateurs."

I had been wondering what Zhirinovsky was up to these days. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

As soon as I saw this on Yahoo I knew Tim would have started a thread on it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

In what way is the Liberal democratic party liberal or democratic
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

I just knew Tim would post this. I resisted the impulse and kept it in the OTT
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2013, 03:33:48 AM
Just goes to show how unsafe the solar system is.

Except that most of the injuries were caused by breaking glass. Sounds like it says more about safety concerns with modern design if you want to draw obnoxious conclusions. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2013, 08:21:11 AM

Funnily enough this is one of those rare 'space' themed thread I think Tim should have definitely posted a thread about; iirc no one in all of recorded history has been killed by a meteor strike, so to have this incident with quite a few seriously injured is noteworthy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2013, 09:04:55 AM

Funnily enough this is one of those rare 'space' themed thread I think Tim should have definitely posted a thread about; iirc no one in all of recorded history has been killed by a meteor strike, so to have this incident with quite a few seriously injured is noteworthy.

http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm

Now, I've no idea if those students are correct - but they suggest otherwise.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2013, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2013, 09:04:55 AM

http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm

Now, I've no idea if those students are correct - but they suggest otherwise.

Well fair enough if true, but I don't think that invalidates that this is quite a somewhat significant event. 

I imagine if this had happened in the USA, there'd already be discussions about a TV movie and in future some people reminiscing about what they were doing when it happened.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"