And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2013, 04:12:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2013, 03:58:20 PM
Sounds like the New & Improved Pope has had scuffles with Argentina's stupid bitch president in the past.  Based upon this, I'm elevating him to AWESOME DUDE status.

Go fuck yourself.

No marty, you go fuck your self. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

QuoteHe is thought to be close to Comunione e Liberazione, a conservative lay movement.

Hoo boy. Those guys are culty.
and the horse you rode in on

The Larch

Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
QuoteHe is thought to be close to Comunione e Liberazione, a conservative lay movement.

Nah, they're in for the money, mostly.

fhdz

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2013, 04:48:25 PM

Really? I had heard a while back that they were VERY aggressively political, such that a lot of more mainstream Catholics were a little embarrassed by them.

The Larch

Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2013, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2013, 04:48:25 PM

Really? I had heard a while back that they were VERY aggressively political, such that a lot of more mainstream Catholics were a little embarrassed by them.

Yes, they're political, but in order to get big fat public contracts, not in order to push doctrine. They're the main private provider of health services in Northern Italy, for instance. Pedrito might enlighten us on that.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2013, 03:27:54 PM

QuoteMore on Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's contention that Bergoglio stood by as tens of thousand of leftists were captured and killed:

The most well-known episode relates to the abduction of two Jesuits whom the military government secretly jailed for their work in poor neighborhoods.

According to "The Silence," a book written by journalist Horacio Verbitsky, Bergoglio withdrew his order's protection of the two men after they refused to quit visiting the slums, which ultimately paved the way for their capture.

Verbitsky's book is based on statements by Orlando Yorio, one of the kidnapped Jesuits, before he died of natural causes in 2000. Both of the abducted clergymen survived five months of imprisonment.

"History condemns him. It shows him to be opposed to all innovation in the Church and above all, during the dictatorship, it shows he was very cozy with the military," Fortunato Mallimacci, the former dean of social sciences at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, once said.

Yeah, sounds like a really nice guy.

So, in other words, not much different than the rest of the Church abandoning the Society in Central and South America, like the soon-to-be-canonized Pole-Pope.

At least those Jesuits were only imprisoned.  Johnny Paul the Deuce looked the other way when they got killed.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Solmyr on March 13, 2013, 02:39:20 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2013, 02:22:00 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2013, 02:15:45 PM
Pope Francis.. doesn't really have a good ring to it.

St. Francis was rad, though, so: good choice.

So, Francis of Assisi, Francis de Sales, or Francis Xavier?

Francis Tarkenton?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2013, 05:32:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2013, 03:27:54 PM

QuoteMore on Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's contention that Bergoglio stood by as tens of thousand of leftists were captured and killed:

The most well-known episode relates to the abduction of two Jesuits whom the military government secretly jailed for their work in poor neighborhoods.

According to "The Silence," a book written by journalist Horacio Verbitsky, Bergoglio withdrew his order's protection of the two men after they refused to quit visiting the slums, which ultimately paved the way for their capture.

Verbitsky's book is based on statements by Orlando Yorio, one of the kidnapped Jesuits, before he died of natural causes in 2000. Both of the abducted clergymen survived five months of imprisonment.

"History condemns him. It shows him to be opposed to all innovation in the Church and above all, during the dictatorship, it shows he was very cozy with the military," Fortunato Mallimacci, the former dean of social sciences at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, once said.

Yeah, sounds like a really nice guy.

So, in other words, not much different than the rest of the Church abandoning the Society in Central and South America, like the soon-to-be-canonized Pole-Pope.

At least those Jesuits were only imprisoned.  Johnny Paul the Deuce looked the other way when they got killed.

Well the source, Horacio Verbitsky, is also a terrorist and likely a murderer so maybe he's just projecting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Are they those Italian Neo-Fascist ones?

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2013, 05:52:47 PM

Are they those Italian Neo-Fascist ones?

They're (originally) Italian, and they loooooooove them some Berlusconi, and they are pretty right-wing AFAIK, but I am not sure that they are neo-fascist.

Razgovory

I thought they had some strong corporatist bent, but I might be thinking of someone else.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2013, 05:59:22 PM
I thought they had some strong corporatist bent, but I might be thinking of someone else.

Opus Dei?

Caliga

:hmm: I actually didn't think Jesuits were allowed to accept church office at all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Camerus

So I wonder where he stands on curial reform?