News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

National Dress or Costume.

Started by mongers, February 08, 2013, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Hey, this topic seems to be a gift that keeps on giving, just google your nations "national costume". 

Here's GB's 2010 Miss Universe get up: 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

I don't think a MEEEEShegan sweatshirt over khakis is national dress.  But it ought to be.

Or a Georgetown lapel pin on your navy blue pinstripe suit.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Flannel and a toucque.  I've worn it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2013, 07:23:54 PM
I don't own a cowboy hat or boots if that's what you mean.

I don't know, I figure the nature of an American national dress would be as problematic at it is to a Brit.

Jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt.  Sure, I've worn that.

And the national costume of England, btw, is the 3-pc pinstripe business suit.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2013, 08:33:08 PM
Flannel and a toucque.  I've worn it.

After the Mountie, I was going to go with...

Neil

The English-speaking peoples don't have a national costume, because all clcothing and fashion belongs to us anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

An alternate Cal approved costume ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 07:28:11 PM
Thank God my parents chose this tradition, and not the other Korean tradition of taking your new born son down to the photo studio to have a beautiful airbrushed spreadeagle portrait taken of his pecker to blow up, frame, and display in the living room.

Photo studios in Korea will put these gigantic pecker shots in their window displays to show off their artistic prowess and attract more business.
WTF? I've never heard of anything like that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

I've got a pair of busted up old square toed Ariats, which with jeans and a t-shirt are about as close as I've come to anything like 'regional dress.'  Cowboy hats aren't my thing. Sunglasses work just fine.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2013, 07:23:54 PM
I don't own a cowboy hat or boots if that's what you mean.

I don't know, I figure the nature of an American national dress would be as problematic at it is to a Brit.

Both are variants of the standard business suit:  the Brit banker and American bidnessman.

Syt

Schleswig-Holstein doesn't seem to have rigidly defined national costumes or "Tracht" as it's called in German for males, so I'll go with the shanty choir look (worn with white or black pants):

Haven't worn it, though. Still, I keep that option open in case I ever get invited to a Tracht-themed fest, as Austrians are rather fond of those.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Slightly more seriously, I did wear a Ukrainian shirt for folklorama one year in Winnipeg.  I volunteered together with my Ukrainian girlfriend.

Something like this.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.