George W. Bush: Great Painter? Or Greatest Painter?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2013, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2013, 08:46:56 PM
Don't be a dick.
It's not being a dick it's the actual problem of ethics. It normally leads to angels dancing on pinheads.

For example is it content or intention that's creating an ethical problem for papers? The British press will get their art critics to write a comment on this sort of hack, almost as standard. Is that really worse than a more po-faced paper publishing them as pictorial examples of the hack? When in fact they're publishing the same pictures and, more often than not, getting bought by people who want to have a look at the picture what's the difference?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

The public interest is distinct from whatever the public happens to be interested in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 08:57:18 PM
It's not being a dick it's the actual problem of ethics. It normally leads to angels dancing on pinheads.

For example is it content or intention that's creating an ethical problem for papers? The British press will get their art critics to write a comment on this sort of hack, almost as standard. Is that really worse than a more po-faced paper publishing them as pictorial examples of the hack? When in fact they're publishing the same pictures and, more often than not, getting bought by people who want to have a look at the picture what's the difference?

Those are both examples of dicks being dicks. 

You don't need the pictures to report the story.  "Friends of Bush had their phones hacked and images of his paintings stolen."

fhdz

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 11, 2013, 07:55:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I think we need to know which of the last dozen presidents had the best fashion sense.
Reagan's one of the only men ever able to pull off a brown suit. That deserves some respect.
He was a movie star, not really fair to judge other politicians by the same standard.

A brown suit's a brown suit, whether you're a movie star or not.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
I don't see the point in criticizing the paintings: they are better than I can do. What I think is more interesting is that it seems Bush 43 has an interest in art. It is one more piece of evidence that his Texas cowboy persona was complete bullshit. He came from a new england family, went to a new england prep school, got a degree from yale and another from harvard. And as soon as he leaves politics he moves to a big city rather than staying on his ranch. Culturally he is probably close to a carbon copy of Mitt Romney, but a better politician because he was able to cover that up.

Since when does a "Texas cowboy persona" disqualify oneself from an interest in painting or the arts?  I'm sure somewhere along the republic's history, there's been evidence of a Texan painting a picture of something, somewhere?  Or is southwestern aesthetics a domain solely reserved for the artsy fartsies in Santa Fe, NM?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2013, 09:46:53 PM
Since when does a "Texas cowboy persona" disqualify oneself from an interest in painting or the arts?  I'm sure somewhere along the republic's history, there's been evidence of a Texan painting a picture of something, somewhere?  Or is southwestern aesthetics a domain solely reserved for the artsy fartsies in Santa Fe, NM?

Actually I remember GWB did like artists and did alot for them as Governor but of course when he was President the art establishment thought he was worse than...well you know.  I remember a meeting of prominent US poets at the White House where they all brought poems attacking him and his policies.  You can guess how many times he did that again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I think we need to know which of the last dozen presidents had the best fashion sense.
Reagan's one of the only men ever able to pull off a brown suit. That deserves some respect.

One must possess the complexion and hair to properly complement a brown suit, during the right season and the right climate. 

You sunless, pasty types in England just don't have it, so keep your Fifty Shades of Gray Suits and don't be hatin' on brown.   :blurgh: :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Hell, his stuff is still better than anything I could slap together with finger paint.  My artistic progression is still in stick-figure mode.  Although I do remember to draw the whiskers on the cat.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2013, 09:10:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 08:57:18 PM

Those are both examples of dicks being dicks. 

You don't need the pictures to report the story.  "Friends of Bush had their phones hacked and images of his paintings stolen."

I think Shelf just likes Celebrity type news.  I agree that this is a dick move, but then I'm not into gossip type news.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2013, 09:46:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
I don't see the point in criticizing the paintings: they are better than I can do. What I think is more interesting is that it seems Bush 43 has an interest in art. It is one more piece of evidence that his Texas cowboy persona was complete bullshit. He came from a new england family, went to a new england prep school, got a degree from yale and another from harvard. And as soon as he leaves politics he moves to a big city rather than staying on his ranch. Culturally he is probably close to a carbon copy of Mitt Romney, but a better politician because he was able to cover that up.

It doesn't, but I'm guessing it isn't the most common hobby among texas cowboys. It is just one more characteristic that makes his political persona seem like BS.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2013, 09:10:03 PM
It's not a matter of need. So austere and priggish :o

Quote from: Neil on February 11, 2013, 09:07:28 PM
The public interest is distinct from whatever the public happens to be interested in.
Yep. But I think that public interest needs way, way less than a crime to justify intrusion.

QuoteI agree that this is a dick move, but then I'm not into gossip type news.
I still don't see it. Hacking the e-mails is dickish. In my view acting 'all above this' is smug and dickish. Having fun with it, isn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

I hated w bush the president with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns, but I didn't find this funny at all and think it definitely crossed a line.

Then I snickered a tiny bit. :blush: