George W. Bush: Great Painter? Or Greatest Painter?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2013, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2013, 06:08:11 PM
I don't see how having a ranch is mutually exclusive with painting.  And I agree with Yi, this is a personal thing.  He's no longer President.  If he wants some privacy he should have it.

I agree American citizens should have privacy.  George W Bush didn't so why I think this is pretty gross and tasteless I am not particularly outraged by it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
I don't see the point in criticizing the paintings: they are better than I can do. What I think is more interesting is that it seems Bush 43 has an interest in art. It is one more piece of evidence that his Texas cowboy persona was complete bullshit. He came from a new england family, went to a new england prep school, got a degree from yale and another from harvard. And as soon as he leaves politics he moves to a big city rather than staying on his ranch. Culturally he is probably close to a carbon copy of Mitt Romney, but a better politician because he was able to cover that up.

Where does he live now?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 11, 2013, 01:11:44 PM
I don't see the point in criticizing the paintings: they are better than I can do. What I think is more interesting is that it seems Bush 43 has an interest in art. It is one more piece of evidence that his Texas cowboy persona was complete bullshit. He came from a new england family, went to a new england prep school, got a degree from yale and another from harvard. And as soon as he leaves politics he moves to a big city rather than staying on his ranch. Culturally he is probably close to a carbon copy of Mitt Romney, but a better politician because he was able to cover that up.

Where does he live now?

Dallas, apparently.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2013, 01:26:21 PM

Where does he live now?

Dallas, apparently.

Wow, welcome to Metropolis, Smallville.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 11, 2013, 02:48:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2013, 01:26:21 PM

Where does he live now?

Dallas, apparently.

Wow, welcome to Metropolis, Smallville.

I think this counts as a large urban area.
QuoteDallas–Fort Worth–Arlington metropolitan area (the DFW MSA) that according to the March 2010 U.S. Census Bureau release, had a population of 6,371,773.[10] The metroplex economy is the sixth largest in the United States, with a 2010 gross metropolitan product of $374 billion.[
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Well, he's been living in big cities like Washington and Austin for most of his life. Hardly surprising.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2013, 12:18:07 PM
Actual art critics don't comment on private amateur art.  Slate just got some snarky faux critics to write some snarky faux critiques.  It isn't amusing, or even adult.  It's just Slate:  the Online Magazine for the Timmays of the World.
Sure they do, once it's public. They'll comment on Churchill's paintings, snarkily on Harry's A-Level art entrance and any other celebrity whose paintings are made public.

QuoteIt's exploitation of illegally obtained images. 
They're in the public domain. They're an online paper/blog thing, not nuns. Frankly I'm surprised the NYT didn't get their art critic to comment, I think most British papers did.

QuoteThey're incredibly snarky comments about a guy's personal hobby.
Yeah. I still don't see the problem.

QuoteI agree American citizens should have privacy.
He was a politician for years and President for best part of a decade. His security is still being paid for by American taxpayers. I don't think he could get away with claiming a desire for a private life.

I agree his e-mails shouldn't be hacked, but no-one's should. That seems to me to be an issue of law. But more or less anything Bush does is of interest so once it's out there, by whatever means, it's legitimate for the media to comment.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I think we need to know which of the last dozen presidents had the best fashion sense.
Reagan's one of the only men ever able to pull off a brown suit. That deserves some respect.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:27:06 PM
They're in the public domain. They're an online paper/blog thing, not nuns. Frankly I'm surprised the NYT didn't get their art critic to comment, I think most British papers did.

Profiting by one degree of removal from a criminal act is not ethical IMO.

QuoteThey're incredibly snarky comments about a guy's personal hobby.
Yeah. I still don't see the problem.

The problem is the mean-spiritness and pettiness displayed by the writer and the critics.

Just being a dick may pass as "tough journalism" in the UK but here it's just being a dick.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2013, 07:45:20 PM
Profiting by one degree of removal from a criminal act is not ethical IMO.
What level of public interest makes it ethical?

But we don't deserve an ethical media. If we did, they'd be profitable.

QuoteJust being a dick may pass as "tough journalism" in the UK but here it's just being a dick.
It's not tough journalism or being a dick. It's, just celebrity journalism about a former politician.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I think we need to know which of the last dozen presidents had the best fashion sense.
Reagan's one of the only men ever able to pull off a brown suit. That deserves some respect.
He was a movie star, not really fair to judge other politicians by the same standard.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:53:20 PM

To justify use of hacked materials?  I think you need a crime.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2013, 08:20:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2013, 07:53:20 PM

To justify use of hacked materials?  I think you need a crime.
Of hacked materials already in the public domain?
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!