News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

National Dress or Costume.

Started by mongers, February 08, 2013, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Have you ever warn what is regarded as the national dress or costume ?

Perhaps even just a part or it, or maybe a regional or ethnic costume specific to your country ?

I'm sad to say I've never warn anything approaching our national costume, possibly because British is such a nebulous identity.
And there's no way in f*** I'm going to be seen dead in anything as contrived as morris dancers get up.

I do feel I've missed out in working in the old fashion city and never having warn regulation bowler, pin-strip and furled umbrella.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I don't own a cowboy hat or boots if that's what you mean.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2013, 07:23:54 PM
I don't own a cowboy hat or boots if that's what you mean.

I don't know, I figure the nature of an American national dress would be as problematic at it is to a Brit.

Admiral Yi

I dressed up in Korean duds for my 1st birthday.  The tradition is to dress up your sons, put a piece of money, a calligraphy brush, and some rice (not sure about this one) on a table in front of the kid.  Whichever one he grabs first is supposed to predict his career path.

Thank God my parents chose this tradition, and not the other Korean tradition of taking your new born son down to the photo studio to have a beautiful airbrushed spreadeagle portrait taken of his pecker to blow up, frame, and display in the living room.

Photo studios in Korea will put these gigantic pecker shots in their window displays to show off their artistic prowess and attract more business.

Tonitrus

When I think British national costume, I picture...

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 07:28:11 PM
I dressed up in Korean duds for my 1st birthday.  The tradition is to dress up your sons, put a piece of money, a calligraphy brush, and some rice (not sure about this one) on a table in front of the kid.  Whichever one he grabs first is supposed to predict his career path.

Thank God my parents chose this tradition, and not the other Korean tradition of taking your new born son down to the photo studio to have a beautiful airbrushed spreadeagle portrait taken of his pecker to blow up, frame, and display in the living room.

Photo studios in Korea will put these gigantic pecker shots in their window displays to show off their artistic prowess and attract more business.

:D

Good one.

Is the pecker thing in anyway related to the giant phalluses in some Japanese religious/cultural events ?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:32:08 PM
Is the pecker thing in anyway related to the giant phalluses in some Japanese religious/cultural events ?

Beats me.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 07:32:04 PM
When I think British national costume, I picture...

But we can't do that, as I think military dress should fall outside of the thread topic; though I guess someone wearing one in that brief 60s style fashion might count al a The Beatles and some now rather dated films.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:32:08 PM

On second thought, probably not.  Most giant phalluses are related to fertility rites, whereas the giant pecker photos are expression of pride in having a son in the family.

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:34:18 PM
But we can't do that, as I think military dress should fall outside of the thread topic; though I guess someone wearing one in that brief 60s style fashion might count al a The Beatles and some now rather dated films.

Next, you'll say Canadians cannot use the Mountie.  :mad: :P

Tonitrus

One might get ideas via the Miss Universe pageant's national costumes.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/galleries/TMG9755856/Miss-Universe-National-Costume-Show-2012.html

But then the U.K.'s for 2012?  :thumbsdown:

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 07:42:47 PM
One might also choose via the Miss Universe pageant's national costumes.

But then the U.K.'s for 2012?  :thumbsdown:

:lol:

Man, that's god awful, designed to make any women look naff.

And a good illustration of the conflicted British feelings over the issue. 

Tonitrus

Liep

No, I'm frankly not sure what our national dress is, I know the Greenland one as the royals tend to wear that when visiting our cold and mineral rich dominion.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 07:46:40 PM
Our entry from 2011.  :lol:

Nice 'gap' and she's a redhead, so I can almost for give her/the 'designer' the rest of the abomination.