News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Plagiarism plague in Germany

Started by Martinus, February 08, 2013, 06:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, another high ranking German politician (this time, the minister of education of all people) is now being accused of plagiarising her doctorate.

I think the reason for this is pretty simple - Germans have developed a fetish for academic titles - everyone and their dog has a doctorate. This means that, effectively, to have a career, you need to have a PhD. This leads to people who would normally not bother with getting a PhD, getting one through dishonest means. This means that everyone with a doctorate becomes suspect.

Inflation of academic titles is such a silly thing.

Malthus

Heh the Director of the Board of Education in Toronto recently resigned because of plagarism.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/01/10/toronto-plagiarism-chris-spence-school326.html

Apparently he made plagerism a way of life ... he was plagerizing for articles he wrote for the paper, for his degree, the lot.  :lol:

I can only think of this great song by Tom Leher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNel8RwSLyE
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Plagerism has always been an issue, it's just easier to uncover now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on February 08, 2013, 06:58:00 PM
Heh the Director of the Board of Education in Toronto recently resigned because of plagarism.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/01/10/toronto-plagiarism-chris-spence-school326.html

Apparently he made plagerism a way of life ... he was plagerizing for articles he wrote for the paper, for his degree, the lot.  :lol:

I can only think of this great song by Tom Leher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNel8RwSLyE

Heh, even parts of his resignation letter sounds like it could have been plagiarised:

Spence said in his resignation letter.

"I have come to this decision after a great deal of reflection, and no small amount of consultation with family, friends and colleagues. I do so with a profoundly heavy heart."
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Lawyers are the worst for that.  They arrogated themelves into JDs out of sheer jealousy.

Lawyers are the enemies of mankind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2013, 08:34:02 PM
Lawyers are the worst for that.  They arrogated themelves into JDs out of sheer jealousy.

Lawyers are the enemies of mankind.

Hey - they can take my LL.B. from my cold, dead hands...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

I can't believe another high ranking German politician (the minister of education of all people!) is now being accused of plagiarising their doctorate.

If I had to analyse why, I'd say the reason for this is pretty simple. Germans have developed a fetish for academic titles. Everyone has a doctorate. Effectively, to have a career, you need to have a PhD. This leads to people who would normally not bother with getting a PhD getting one through dishonest means. This means that everyone with a doctorate becomes suspect.

Academic title inflation is such a silly thing.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Arkestra brings up some good points.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?