And we're back!

Main Menu

So, how good is your grammar?

Started by Syt, February 07, 2013, 09:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
OK Schroedinger's grammarian.

I mean would you take the same issue if there was a question that said which of these is a noun and/or verb?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

The question says "and/or," the answer itself says "and."

Maybe I need to relearn what a prepositional phrase is, but they need to refresh themselves on their logical operators.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :homestar:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Give it up man.  Pride has two meanings.  One meaning is a collective noun and the other is an abstract noun.  Therefore pride is a collective *and* an abstract noun.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

If I said you're thick headed *or* a hillbilly, it means one or the other, not both.  You're thick headed *and* you're a hillbilly. 

Ideologue

Yeah, but I can be both of those at the same time. :smoke:
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
If I said you're thick headed *or* a hillbilly, it means one or the other, not both.  You're thick headed *and* you're a hillbilly.

In the Aristotelian sense, of course.

DGuller

PDH

I didn't take the test because she died about 10 years ago and that made me kinda sad.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 05:22:48 PM
Yeah, but I can be both of those at the same time. :smoke:

:P

So can a word Out House my lad.  "Pride" is five letters joined together that has varies significations in the English language.  It is a part of speech.  It is an abstraction.  It is not that particular pride of lion's sitting right over there eating eland at the moment.

So just like you, this five letter grouping can be many things at the same time.

mongers

I had a 1970s British 'Comprehensive' education, I don't need to take the test do I ?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 04:36:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 07, 2013, 11:15:41 AM
"Truth" is an abstract and collective noun?  :hmm:  I said just abstract.  Haven't thought of that abstract/concrete noun crap in a very long time -- they are really more philosophical questions than grammar ones.  If such a differance can be claimed.  :frog:  :homestar:

No, on that one it was pride that is abstract and collective because of the two different meanings.

That's stupid.  It either means one thing ("regard for someone, something, or an accomplishment, ordinarily reflecting upon oneself"), and is abstract, or it means the other ("buncha lions"), and is collective.  It can't be both at the same time.

It's called a Homonym :smarty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

My use of grammar when I try is pretty good. My grasp of the terminology however....

I got 11. Easier than I thought. A lot of the terminology is rather logical given its name.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 07, 2013, 11:38:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
No, on that one it was pride that is abstract and collective because of the two different meanings.

:lol:  Oh, right.  Sneaky.

Yeah, pride got the better of me as well. 13/14  :(