News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, how good is your grammar?

Started by Syt, February 07, 2013, 09:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 07, 2013, 11:15:41 AM
"Truth" is an abstract and collective noun?  :hmm:  I said just abstract.  Haven't thought of that abstract/concrete noun crap in a very long time -- they are really more philosophical questions than grammar ones.  If such a differance can be claimed.  :frog:  :homestar:

No, on that one it was pride that is abstract and collective because of the two different meanings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

i responded to a pretty hot chick i was trying to get with:

"hey, i have good grammar"

i was 20, but the humiliation remains  :(

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
No, on that one it was pride that is abstract and collective because of the two different meanings.

:lol:  Oh, right.  Sneaky.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Fuckers.  :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 11:45:01 AM

Fuckers.  :mad:

Come on, man.  You should be on the lookout for 'gotcha' questions on a quiz like this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

"Truth" is an abstract and collective noun?  :hmm:  I said just abstract.  Haven't thought of that abstract/concrete noun crap in a very long time -- they are really more philosophical questions than grammar ones.  If such a differance can be claimed.  :frog:  :homestar:

Yup.  I may have forgotten what a fucking gerund is, but at least I know the difference between pride in one's work and a pride of lions.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 07, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2013, 09:20:13 AM
(I thought 13, but it turned out I had clicked a different answer than I thought I had clicked - gues smy motor skills suck :( )

Yeah, that happened to me, too;  I got 12/14, looked at the answers and thought, hey, I clicked those!
That happened to me. Got 13/14 but the answer I thought I'd clicked (13) would've made it 14/14 <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 02:37:48 PM
Guarniad programmers? :hmm:

Not the first time their polls had that kind of snafu.

Ideologue

You mean "pride"?  That's one of the two I got wrong.  I'll cop to being wrong on the prepositional phrase one, but "pride" is not a fucking (gerund :) ) collective noun.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

That's stupid.  It either means one thing ("regard for someone, something, or an accomplishment, ordinarily reflecting upon oneself"), and is abstract, or it means the other ("buncha lions"), and is collective.  It can't be both at the same time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 04:36:00 PM

That's stupid.  It either means one thing ("regard for someone, something, or an accomplishment, ordinarily reflecting upon oneself"), and is abstract, or it means the other ("buncha lions"), and is collective.  It can't be both at the same time.

It is true that when used in a sentence it can only mean one but when tasked with "Identify which of the following nouns are abstract and/or collective" - pretty obvious what you need to do.

Also I'm not sure I'd admit to getting the prepositional one wrong but then fight the collective noun one.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue