News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Age of Wonders 3 announced

Started by Syt, February 07, 2013, 04:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I keep getting steam notices that FunkMonk is playing AoW3. Maybe he'll grace us with his opinion. :whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2014, 03:06:02 PM
I keep getting steam notices that FunkMonk is playing AoW3. Maybe he'll grace us with his opinion. :whistle:

If FunkMonk is too busy playing to post here it is probably safe to assume he likes it.

garbon

Yes probably fair. Though still the component of like at price of 40 bucks. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Stop stalking me. :ultra:

I can write something up later.  :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

I'll say for now that I really like it so far. I've never played fantasy TBS before, though.

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 07, 2014, 04:38:47 PM

Speaking of stalking...if you're never going to do your Starbase: Orion turns, then quit out of the games.  :ultra:  :P

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 07, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
I'll say for now that I really like it so far. I've never played fantasy TBS before, though.

Interesting. What made you decide to pick up AoW3?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 08, 2014, 04:06:24 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 07, 2014, 04:38:47 PM

Speaking of stalking...if you're never going to do your Starbase: Orion turns, then quit out of the games.  :ultra:  :P

Shit, I totally forgot about that.  :lol: :blush:

Syt

I like your avatar, funky. :) Jushin Lyger, HBK and Undertaker, staples of ca. 1992 wrestling.  :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2014, 08:18:00 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 07, 2014, 04:41:54 PM

Interesting. What made you decide to pick up AoW3?

Sudden interest in the genre. Also I'm tired of Civ and AOW is is really nice change of pace without sacrificing the attraction TBS games seem to have on me.

I've only been able to play for an hour here and there and so can't really expound on the strategy part of the game. What I can say is that the tactical battles are amazing. The AI is challenging and doesn't make stupid mistakes and if I lose a battle it's not because of some stupid gimmick or cheat the AI pulls out of its ass. It's because I made a mistake or miscalculated in some manner. It uses the terrain to its advantage as well. Also, your tactics matter. I can attack an AI position head on but if I instead flank them or use my spells tactically I will take significantly fewer losses and be in a better position for the next battle. And there are plenty of battles in this game I'll tell you that much.

Basically the tactical part of the game owns and is worth $20 right there. I can post a review of the game as a whole probably this weekend, provided I finish my goddamn econometrics project on schedule.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on April 09, 2014, 09:49:42 AM
I like your avatar, funky. :) Jushin Lyger, HBK and Undertaker, staples of ca. 1992 wrestling.  :cool:

I found it when I google searched "funkmonk"  :D

The Brain

The game is nice and playable right out of the box (1.00). Sure, if you fags have higher standards than that these days then by all means wait for a sale. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 09, 2014, 10:06:44 AM
The game is nice and playable right out of the box (1.00). Sure, if you fags have higher standards than that these days then by all means wait for a sale. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't know why I'm hesitant. Maybe because I think I'll waste too much time playing it? :D