News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on January 19, 2015, 03:04:16 PM
I usually play it enough each season to fill up my storage panes with rares.  I have way too much crap that, if I ever go back to the regular league, it'll be an exercise in vendor time.

I'll usually get through normal and into cruel before wanting to try a different character (sometimes earlier if I get bored).  I'm impressed with the changes that they've made, but I would kill for a good skill gem management screen.  The fact that these little doodads not only are tiny but also have two possible properties that aren't visible without mousing over (experience and quality) drives me nuts.  It's even worse when they are socketed, and all you can tell is color.

The experience gain and pacing seems designed to be more of a grind the further you go.  Early on levels come quite quickly, by merciless it'll be a few maps before you gain a level and it's easy to lose healthy chunks of experience.  Diablo 3 does it better in this regard, leaving the grindy bits to after max level (and letting you customize the speed of level/difficulty as you go).

I agree.  PoE wants to position itself as the hardcore ARPG but in the end it is more being the most grind intensive with a bod  IU for loot.  I also like the game up until the point in Cruel when you need optimal gear to progress.  Watching chat I get the sense that a lot of the players that get beyond that point are playing this game like its their job.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2015, 03:14:48 PM
I agree.  PoE wants to position itself as the hardcore ARPG but in the end it is more being the most grind intensive with a bod  IU for loot.  I also like the game up until the point in Cruel when you need optimal gear to progress.  Watching chat I get the sense that a lot of the players that get beyond that point are playing this game like its their job.

I think you can get through Cruel without too much optimal gear.  A couple of 4 link items and decent synergy in your item attributes should get you through (I do try to hit the last bosss fight just after leveling though).  They've added a bit of crafting beyond the orb/random process of changing items in there now.

One weird thing I've noticed is that it seems like I get a unique item within an hour of playing a character who I haven't picked up in a while (say 3-4 weeks).  I don't know if that is just perceptual bias or a little goose to encourage picking up unused characters.

Scipio

Shadowrun Unlimited. It's a Steamworks mod for the game. Basically, you have an overarching quest and make side runs. Pretty decent. Scaled much less Monty Hall than vanilla.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sophie Scholl

Making my way through a bit of my Steam backlist has yielded two enjoyable play throughs:  The Banner Saga and The Wolf Among Us.  I'm hoping both stories continue on.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

I think it was in December that they announced Banner Saga 2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I could never get into that one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Banner Saga has a steep difficulty curve for the combat, and if you make the wrong decision in the non-combat portion of the game, you're effectively fucked. It's very unforgiving. I loved it.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

Darkest Dungeon got released in beta for backers. After an unpromising CTD shortly after startup, I restarted. This game is bitch-ass hard, and fun, in a side-scrolling dungeon crawler Cthulhuiana sort of way.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Any idea how much it's going to be?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Black Sea was released.  I've comically failed to keep the Russians out of Ukraine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2015, 06:15:50 PM
Black Sea was released.  I've comically failed to keep the Russians out of Ukraine.

What's your verdict on it?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

So historically accurate?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2015, 07:27:38 PM

What's your verdict on it?

Have only played a little bit so far.  It's Combat mission if the Future!  Fighting modern battles at WWII distances comes off as a bit absurd though.

Grey Fox

Received a Heroes of the Storm beta invite. Not sure how I feel about yet another MOBA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2015, 03:49:21 PM
Received a Heroes of the Storm beta invite. Not sure how I feel about yet another MOBA.

It also seems to be much simpler than Dota 2.