And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 12, 2014, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 12, 2014, 09:46:34 AM
Warning, do not download Minecraft. What little life I had left has been replaced by mining for diamonds. :(

Stupid me. <_<

Go to the next step like my 12 year old nephew. Watch people play Minecraft on Youtube.

I JUST DONT GET IT.

My 11 year old nephew does this too.

Iormlund

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 12, 2014, 12:36:00 PM
Check out Crystal Maiden, she's arguably the best support in the game right now.  Not sure how I feel about a support doom, don't see it too often, but your mileage may vary.  :cheers:

The problem with CM at my bracket is there tends to be a lot of 5-manning and while she's a fantastic ganker she's not a very good teamfighter. Without proper assistance she's also ridiculously vulnerable to Slark or invis heroes and not an especially good gem carrier.

I think it was Speed Gaming that drafted a support Doom at MLG Columbus. Did quite well as a sort of tanking Lich (they also had a proper Lich in the lineup so everyone was +17 armor plus attack slows on hit which was a bit ridiculous).

Syt

After watching a few tutorial videos I've finally started and finished my first HoI3TFH game.

I decided to play as Turkey. The plan was to have a manageable country, size-wise, and try to joing the Allies (to conquer parts of the Balkans).

Only the Allies wouldn't have me. Even when I was fully in their corner they refused to have me join them. <_<

So it was 4 hours of research, building units and watching a perverted version of WW2.

It started pretty historical up till 1941. Germany invaded the USSR in June, then my game crashed.

I reloaded, and this time they get bogged down by partisans in Poland and only start the war in October 1941. They make it to a line Riga => Sevastopol, not even making it as far as Kiev. That front remains pretty stable till 1944. Meanwhile, Italy conquered Egypt, the Suez, Transjordan and Iraq in 1941/42.

The UK started reconquering North Africa from Algiers in early 1943, but after some back and forth they take everything back by late 1944. Also in 1944 the Soviets seem to make a breakthrough, pushing the front back into the Balkans. Greece becomes a puppet, Bulgaria is annexed, but eventually the Germans pushed back to the original frontline.

In late 1944 the Americans landed in Southern France and started steamrolling Germany. At the same time, the Germans started to continually push back the Soviets, leading to the weird situation that when Germany surrendered all of Western and Central + South East Europe to the USSR border was American occupied and the Germans were still in Russia, ca. to the real life summer 1942 front lines.

In Asia, Japan kicked all kinds of Chinese ass and attacked the U.S. in late November 1941. They took the Philippines, started to attack Indonesia and then invade Australia and New Zealand because why not. Also, they conquered all of India by 1943.

The U.S. landed in Adelaide in 1944 and took back Australia and New Zealand, then the Philippines, and began an invasion of Japan in mid-1945. At the end of the game the Northern third of Japan was still un-occupied, but India had revolted back to Britain.

The U.S. didn't use a nuke on Japan. Italy was reduced to just Sardinia and a few African inland provinces. So they nuked Cagliari in Sardinia.

The Allies won, naturally.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, of the occupied territories, the U.S. released France, BeNeLux and Poland. And annexed Hungary.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Beet sugar was used more than sugar cane in the 1940s
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

YES. Starwhal is out on Steam Early Access. :wub:
and the horse you rode in on

Grey Fox

Fuck that. Banished is coming out today.

Maladict

Tamas

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2014, 10:06:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2014, 10:00:03 AM

This video doesn't really sell it that much for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAi5wWPDZjw

I've watched too many hours of footage to be able to judge it from the start anymore.

What's your gripe with TBs first impressions?

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2014, 10:13:26 AM

I've watched too many hours of footage to be able to judge it from the start anymore.

He mentions that
a) there is not much building variation
b) despite random maps, a clear sequence of an optimal building order exists, available in the Wiki
c) micromanagement

All in all failed to make it sound really interesting, but I would like nothing more than being proved wrong on this one.

Ed Anger

D) it isn't overpriced Matrix garbage.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2014, 10:24:22 AM

Puhleaze  :rolleyes:

Do check Lock n' Load out, Ed.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2014, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2014, 10:24:22 AM

Puhleaze  :rolleyes:

Do check Lock n' Load out, Ed.

Since I am a nice guy, I will. When I get some spare time.

Any other Hungarian, I would have made a beet it joke.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2014, 10:21:19 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2014, 10:13:26 AM

He mentions that
a) there is not much building variation
b) despite random maps, a clear sequence of an optimal building order exists, available in the Wiki
c) micromanagement

All in all failed to make it sound really interesting, but I would like nothing more than being proved wrong on this one.

a is painfully true but this is a one man operation. Art takes much time to design, hopefully modders will fix this.
b I kind of agree with that but that's mostly because gatherers are a very good food source & you become reluctant to cut down on forest sizes in favor of expansion/farming.

c Yes, that's what the game is.

Checkout Quill18 playthrus.