News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

The Banner Saga is pretty strong.

Steep learning curve, though. Just played through the very beginning of the first act.

Also, when I get home, the new Double Fine game Broken Age will be loaded and ready to roll. Kickstarter FTW.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

crazy canuck

Quote from: Scipio on January 14, 2014, 01:58:00 PM

Steep learning curve, though. Just played through the very beginning of the first act.

That game concept looks similar to conquest conquistador.  Please let me know how you like it after you play it a bit more.

sbr

Also, when I get home, the new Double Fine game Broken Age will be loaded and ready to roll. Kickstarter FTW.

Nice.  Keep us/me updated on Banner Saga if you can, I almost bought it last night with the pre-order discount but I am trying to stop buying so many games.

Habbaku

Can't get my The Banner Saga Steam key because the Stoic website is down.  :cry:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: sbr on January 14, 2014, 02:14:08 PM

Nice.  Keep us/me updated on Banner Saga if you can, I almost bought it last night with the pre-order discount but I am trying to stop buying so many games.

I've got about 5 hours in, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure how replayable it all is, but the experience is very immersive.

Also, very Ragnarokian and depressing.

On the whole, I'd give it four Kurt Wallanders out of four.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

An update:

It reminds me of KoDP. You end up juggling a lot of things to stay on the bleeding edge of success. Also, it's very similar to FF Tactics, and just as unforgiving. I had to restart after Chapter 6, because I was hemorrhaging supplies and morale.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Scipio on January 14, 2014, 09:47:15 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 14, 2014, 02:14:08 PM

I've got about 5 hours in, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure how replayable it all is, but the experience is very immersive.

Also, very Ragnarokian and depressing.

On the whole, I'd give it four Kurt Wallanders out of four.

I'm thinking on the replayability front that you can make some different choices in subsequent playthroughs...but since the events themselves don't appear to be randomly placed there isn't nearly the variety that you'd find in KoDP.

Having said that, I think it's an awesome game so far.

Habbaku

I am not too concerned with lack of replay, myself.  Presumably, that will be "solved" by the subsequent chapters in the series.  There is always multiplayer as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

I'll tell you one thing- it's precariously sharply balanced. I'm at the final battle, and it's pulling a middle of FFT bullshit deal on me.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

The good thing is that it's made me better at TBS: Factions.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

fhdz

Quote from: Scipio on January 16, 2014, 08:32:55 AM
The good thing is that it's made me better at TBS: Factions.

Indeed.

Scipio

Divinity: Original Sin alpha (thanks to Kickstarter).

Old school. Very pretty.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Razgovory

I went back to War Thunder after trying World of Warplanes which I found sucked badly.  Unfortunately, I suck badly
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Scipio on January 15, 2014, 06:42:04 PM
I'll tell you one thing- it's precariously sharply balanced. I'm at the final battle, and it's pulling a middle of FFT bullshit deal on me.

I've failed it twice so far. Have you beaten it, Scips? Any thoughts on strategy?