News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Do you folks play Dishonored? What's the skinny? Is it as awesome as it seems like it would be?
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

I picked it up for 75% off on the recent Steam sale, but haven't tried it yet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2013, 01:48:18 AM
I've freshly acquired guns from a pirate vendor on a floating sailing ship moored by anchor to a snow planet. But the guns seem weak compared to my trusty melee hammer.

I think you have to be in the beta sector at least to get reasonable guns. The level one guns seems almost useless. The bone hammer that throws bones is much more useful. Also doubles as an indestructible pick axe. :D

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2013, 01:48:18 AM
I'm surprised by the randomization of planets. Sometimes you land on a desert planet and it has almost no vegetation. Next time you have weird cacti with skulls on top. Or regular cacti. Or some that look like seaweed. Another planet might have trees where the trunks have suction cups. Or look like made of metal. Or like giant rose bushes. The procedural generation appears to work pretty well for creatures, too. They're jumbled together by a plethora of parts and attack types. And while some parts will looks familiar after a while, they keep being different on each planet. In general, it seems the cuter a critter is, the more likely it is to be hostile. Birds have been nerfed a lot, but they can still be a bane if they have two strong attacks bundled together.

Some planets seem to suffer from "Genesis Syndrome", though. You travel to a desert planet, beam down and find yourself in snow (yes, I know there's ice deserts), and a screen to the left you have a Sahara type thing. The transition between biomes could be a bit smoother. And the nights just a bit shorter.

:hmm:

Perhaps, I was unlucky and got plucked down amid a shitty collection of stars, but I actually found that few of my planets were very unique. Yes, I constantly had to be on guard for animals as two from different planets might look similar but one was actually aggressive, and yes some of the biome varied but I had several planets that had nearly identical structures (there's one Apex structure that always has a vat of acid on ground near chest that I've seen more than 5 times now). Also had several well guarded underground facilities on planets (robots and humanoids with guns) that were only guarding blueprints that I already had acquired on the surface.

On a side note, what's the best way to go spelunking? I've had more than a few occasions where I dug myself into an open cavern and fell to my death. I'd also like some way of having light around beyond just placing and removing torches. Tedious! :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Well, maybe I'm luckier, maybe I'm less fuzzy. :P I agree that structures/houses/dungeons repeat quickly, and I hope that they either increase the variety there (I had one planet where a dozen people lived several screens away from their neighbors, but each in the same house; and then I've run into the robo knight living alone in his mini castle twice - will probably convert one of them to my home base). I see more variation in animals/trees (so far) than in actual planet make ups. Though dirt and cobblestone can come in different colors and tenacity when mining, it seems.

For spelunking (bear in mind, this is my experience in alpha sector). Bring torches. A lot. Bring bandages, though you might find enough grapevines to craft new ones. Bring food (bread is good). I hardly use the flashlight. Torches have a pretty large illumination range, and you can "cast" them pretty far. You can also stock up on flares. Bring a campfire/bed to heal/warm up on the fly. Bringing a workbench/smelter/anvil/metalworking station can also be a good idea, if you realize you're missing some tool.

In general I didn't find anything too exciting. A few chests, some funny blocks (flesh and bone), and obviously magma rock and magma all the way down. If you come upon monsters, you can usually box them in with walls. I think this may become more relevant once you have crafting recipes that require some of the materials you can get deep down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Ditto
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2013, 10:44:17 AM

Ditto

It was 75% off in the recent sale? :( FUCK.

Grey Fox

Quote from: fhdz on December 16, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

Ditto

Relax, Winter sale is coming.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2013, 10:48:09 PM

Ditto

When? When? When? When? When?

When?

Queequeg

Quote from: fhdz on December 16, 2013, 10:01:02 AM
Do you folks play Dishonored? What's the skinny? Is it as awesome as it seems like it would be?
No. It's Thief 2 and Half Life 2 in a blender with a lot of jagged edges and chunks of frozen banana. It felt a lot less interesting than most entries in the Warren Spector genre.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grey Fox

Quote from: fhdz on December 17, 2013, 01:11:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2013, 10:48:09 PM

Ditto

When? When? When? When? When?

When?

Soon! My guess is Thursday.

Grey Fox

Fhadizzle, Dishonored is 75% off on Steam right now.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

I saw it; just bought the GOTY edition. :)

Plus an expansion for Skyrim.

Plus Space Hulk. :ph34r:

fhdz

And Walking Dead Season 1. HELP ME I CAN'T STOP

Razgovory

Quote from: fhdz on December 19, 2013, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

I saw it; just bought the GOTY edition. :)

Plus an expansion for Skyrim.

Plus Space Hulk. :ph34r:

Danger, Will Robinson!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: fhdz on December 20, 2013, 01:19:17 AM
And Walking Dead Season 1. HELP ME I CAN'T STOP

No. Serve The Gaben.