News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2013, 03:21:37 AM
Seriously loving Expeditions: Conquistador.  Thanks for the recommendation, CC. :thumbsup:

Glad you are enjoying it :)

Grey Fox

Damn it, lost my dishonored save, again.

Well fuck it, I ain't starting over.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Extremely tempted to buy Shadowrun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Aside from my WITP:AE PBEM, I play (or attempt to play) Silent Hunter 4 modded with both Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.5.2 and Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign, with 100% Realism (Limited Fuel+Oxygen+Torpedoes, Dud Torpedoes with Mark 14 problems, realistic damage, and full manual targeting).

As of now if I can get within 2000 yards of a merchant I sink it, unless the Mark 14 issues trigger (hence why I usually go for two-thirds of the merchant's draft with contact+magnetic) or my computer crashes. Ten minutes ago my computer went BSOD as I was savouring the burning hulk of a Maru just having eaten two eels along his waterline at 900 yards. <_<

Ed Anger

Brief history of the World on the iPad. I'm having fun against the AI.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2013, 10:14:33 AM

Looks pretty damn good to me.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2013, 10:14:33 AM

Looks pretty damn good to me.

I'll probably pick it up on the 1st.  That's when Derspeiss pays me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Pokemon Pearl, while it's full of nostalgia from when I played Red & Yellow to full completion. There is simply just too much to do in those games nowadays. I don't want to grind THAT much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Been playing with a weird indy game, Papers, Please.

With full VGA graphics, you are a border inspector in 1982 in the eastern European country of Artstotzka.  Your job is to inspect the paperwork of incoming people to make sure that they meet full official Arstotzkan requirements, no matter what.

I love the idea of this game... I'm just not sure I love the game.  Further play is required.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2013, 12:53:04 AM

With full VGA graphics, you are a border inspector in 1982 in the eastern European country of Artstotzka.  Your job is to inspect the paperwork of incoming people to make sure that they meet full official Arstotzkan requirements, no matter what.

I love the idea of this game... I'm just not sure I love the game.  Further play is required.

I will put up a review of it on Wednesday on my blog. I played it most of yesterday afternoon, and it's made me think a fair bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2013, 02:21:19 AM

I will put up a review of it on Wednesday on my blog. I played it most of yesterday afternoon, and it's made me think a fair bit.

Give a concise version here - don't make me wait till Wednesday.  I'm curious what someone else thought about the game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2013, 09:59:51 AM
Give a concise version here - don't make me wait till Wednesday.  I'm curious what someone else thought about the game.

QuoteI only needed a few hours to reach an out-of-body experience where I watched myself fall heartlessly into the gameplay, into celebrating my correct dismissals and ignoring the slowly building, strangely gripping story of Eastern European repression. The game is perfectly amenable to players coming and going from that awareness, dropping in just enough reminders of both its game-like giddiness and somber reflection to avoid coming off as heavy-handed. In fact, the keen, interactive treatment of repressive regimes, combined with smoothly ramping play, makes this a fine point of entry into the serious games genre for someone who might otherwise scoff.

Some of the most truly jarring moments in Papers Please come when the game's denizens condemn you—you, the virtual border agent, and you, the actual human—as a scumbag. In one playthrough, I received a plaque from a military official thanking me for my service. A denied applicant looked at it on his way out, and he didn't mince words with his brief exit: "You are like this plaque. Cheap shit."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/papers-please-review-paper-trail-of-tears/

Ed Anger

QuoteI only needed a few hours to reach an out-of-body experience

Oh lord.  :yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2013, 09:59:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2013, 02:21:19 AM

I found it surprisingly easy to slip into "just doing my job" mentality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

So I was fiddling around with tomb raider settings as I was pretty sure my new computer could do better than the default of normal. Does good on the 2nd highest setting but craps out at Ultimate. I found that the biggest issue seemed to be if I used the other (better) setting for hair so that Lara's hairy started flowing.  Really? A hair modification is what brings down my frame rate? :lol:

Also, why is motion blur an option? I briefly had that turned on and started feeling sick to my stomach.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.