Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szmik

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 24, 2012, 04:24:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2012, 05:30:40 PM
I have got a mad Napoleonic wargame boner but the only real games are the old Talonsoft games(bad AI) or the HPS/John Tiller newer ones (Bad AI and looks like a 4 year old did the graphics).

Bleh. And no, I don't want to play any of you people.

PC only or boardgames too?  You check out the La Bataille series?

Paradox is also working on theirs, but that's going to be a bit.

You might want to give the Matrix release, Crown of Glory, a look.

PC. I have  La Bataille de la Moscowa all unpunched.

Crown of Glory is poop.

Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle is fine tactical game. In the mold of Sid Meyer's Gettysburg
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

There's also Histwar: Les Grognards. No idea what status the game is in, patch-wise. Might be a bit more hardcore than what you're looking for.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I want to be playing the new updates to the Prophesy of Pendor mod for Mount & Blade: Warband....but I need to stop living out of a hotel and get my computer from the movers (if they haven't stolen it).  :glare:

CountDeMoney

I have  La Bataille de la Moscowa all unpunched.

Fucking monster, ain't it?

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 07:58:38 PM
I have  La Bataille de la Moscowa all unpunched.

Fucking monster, ain't it?

Yep.

I have a feeling it'll never, ever get played. Either in person of over the interwebs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

LOL I tried Dead Island. Unplayable garbage.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

After playing Skyrim on my PS3, I found an old copy of Oblivion which I've been playing. Not as much fun as Skyrim. Amazing what a few years could do to improve a game, even on the same platform.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on August 07, 2012, 07:21:43 AM
After playing Skyrim on my PS3, I found an old copy of Oblivion which I've been playing. Not as much fun as Skyrim. Amazing what a few years could do to improve a game, even on the same platform.

Oblivion was good but then it took an arrow to the knee.

Syt

Symphony is out for 10 bucks. It takes your music and turns it into vertical scrolling shooter in neon colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kPpTQEDQU

I tried two Iron Maiden songs: Run To The Hills and Pashendale - the former felt like a "normal" shooter, while the latter was at times a veritable bullet hell (pun intended) that might lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Overall: think audiosurf with explosions. Seems suited to a casual shooter player like me.

Review - not the greatest shooter ever, but decent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtbAXQuwgA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, so the interface for selecting songs (tags only, no search function) isn't ideal if you have several thousand songs. Also, it crashes for me when it tries to import my whole library (dies at 47,000-something). Additionally, long songs (ca. 6:30+?) make the game crash.

Other than that I find it rather silly fun for now. And the devs say they're still working on ironing some issues/implementing feature requests.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Been playing "From Dust"  It's short and I bought it cheap but found it wouldn't work on my old PC.  Now, it works just fine on the new PC.  Game is great fun.  Almost beat it.  One major downside, it makes you log on to the Goddamn Ubisoft net thingy.  I'm already logged on to Steam, Why do I need another one of these programs?  Bleh.

The game was inspired by Populous, but plays much differently, and feels genuinely original.  It feels like you could make much bigger game out of this, but it was a small indie release so I understand why it might be limited.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Still going through games I owned but couldn't play on my old PC.  Call of Duty: Black Ops is really a stupid game.  The plot makes little sense, but that's to be expected in the Call of Duty series.  The bigger problem is that the gameplay is the same as the previous call of duty games and is getting tedious.  You go through numerous set piece battles and where you fight a dozen or so bad guys usually with some allies who are two often dressed like the bad guys.  Mostly I die a lot, half the time I don't know what I'm suppose to be doing because I can't hear my support characters orders when there's a huge gun fight going on an people are shooting rockets and throwing grenades at me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2012, 07:42:33 PM
I want to be playing the new updates to the Prophesy of Pendor mod for Mount & Blade: Warband....but I need to stop living out of a hotel and get my computer from the movers (if they haven't stolen it).  :glare:

Getting back into it, now that I am (partially) settled.

I've noticed that 3D graphics games feel weird, visually, for awhile if you've been off them for awhile.

FunkMonk

Haven't bought this (yet) but Starfarer looks pretty damn cool. Reminds me a little bit of SPAZ but with much better combat mechanics.

Still only in alpha but you can play it right now if you buy in for $10, half the price of release.

Current Features
Pilot your ship in top-down 2d combat
Command your fleet in tactical battles
Detailed combat mechanics
Customize your ship's loadout before battle
Explore a war-torn star system
Mod support for user-made factions, missions, ships, and weapons

Upcoming Features

Play your own character who gains experiences and upgrades skills
Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
Explore the sector for knowledge and profit
Trade goods, run mining operations, build industries — and defend your interests
Become involved in factional politics
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

sbr

The "virtual reality" mission at the end of the Deckers storyline in Saints Row the Third is one of the more annoying parts of a game I can remember.  I am still having a blast with the game besides that though.