And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

HisMajestyBOB

Cool, I'll check it out.
But first I need a HD upgrade. 15GB install? That's almost all the remaining free space on my drive! :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

OOTP12. 64 team European league.

My Vienna Wolfpack are playing against the Istanbul Sultans. Istanbul's Milutin Kotic hits a grand slam, just as last.fm plays "Sultans of Swing" by the Dire Straits. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I downloaded the Demo of Dungeons - the Dark Lord, but the game just didn't work.  Wouldn't even start.  I went to their boards to see if there was a solution but I didn't see one.  So I guess I'm not going to buy that game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Man, I cannot do shit with Lorraine in EU2.  Playing as Granada's usually no big problem (well, so long as I cheat and restart if I get grossly unfavorable random numbers generated on the first major combats in Andalusia :P ).  I actually think it might be the hardest non-island minor in the game.  You are stuck between two extraordinary belligerent power blocs, and aligning with either is either inadvisable (getting a stable alliance with Dauphine is hard and increasing Dauphine's power is a bad move in the long run anyway) or unhelpful (you start allied with Burgundy, but you have no say in whether England establishes a vassaldom upon them and your only real avenue of exapnsion is Burgundian territory).

Also your armies suck because of the 9 serfdom slider setting. :(

I actually had one good iteration going--massive inflation but that's par for the course, and I'd managed to seize most of the Burgundian lands and Ile de France--but I fucked up when I invaded Strassburg before finishing Dauphine/France as a competitor.  I thought it would be a simple, quick annexation but I wound up drawing the ire of Switzerland and eventually some other HRE states, and France hit me when I was fighting in the east.  I wish I'd saved before committing to attacking Strass. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Why did you decide to take on your vassal? (Strassburg)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 05:39:14 PM
Why did you decide to take on your vassal? (Strassburg)

Because it's not really my vassal.  It's Tyrol's vassal as well, and is in an alliance with Tyrol, and I know from experience playing as Austria that eventually it will fall to Tyrol and then to the Habsburgs, whom I didn't want to fight until unifying France.  I wasn't sure about the date, so wanted to do so at the earliest opportunity.

Actually, I can't recall if I attacked Strassburg or Tyrol.  I think it was actually Tyrol.

I did try a few tests where I attacked Strass immediately but that doesn't seem like a good opening move (Tyrol's army tends to fuck me up, and it's full of badboy even if I win).  That's the other problem with Lorraine, the other avenue for expansion is in the HRE--but Luxembourg and the Palatinate have territories unreachable until they're surrendered.  Luxembourg also winds up with Burgundy very quickly, so a limited war against them is impossible to win early on, and turns into a general Middle Francia war later.

How these losers stayed independent till 1766 is beyond me (well, actually it's just beyond the scope of EU2 game mechanics).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Yeah that was a mistake from poor implementation - for some unknown reason they had Strassburg standing in for two different political entities. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 06:03:35 PM
Yeah that was a mistake from poor implementation - for some unknown reason they had Strassburg standing in for two different political entities. <_<

What is it supposed to be?  The Duchy/County (or whatever?) of Strassburg and the Margraviate of Baden?  The province Baden's ruled directly by Tyrol.  I dunno what the County of Tyrol's relationship with the Margrave was, although I believe the County had direct holdings in that general area.  To be honest, I don't know what the Duke of Lorraine's relation to the [whatever] of Strass was.

I'm considering cheating and just giving Burgundy German. :P  What, Luxembourg is German. :shifty:
Kinemalogue

garbon

No idea - however I believe that the change was going to be that it was Lorraine's so as not to give too much to the Hapsburgs.  I think there is a lack of clarity given that no one state really dominated that entire province.

garbon

Actually found it. There is some odd confusion that the duchy of Bar could be in that province - certainly not the case! Will have to think about what to do with that. :(

Syt

One of my weirder games yesterday - Vienna Wolfpack @ Kharkov Tanks. My star pitcher issued 4 BBs in the first three innings (i.e. before I took him out), and beaned two consecutive Kaharkov batters. In ca. 60 pitches he threw 15 in the strike zone. Fortunately, the reliever was a bit steadier. In the 8th inning, with the score 3-3, the Kharkov reliever handed me the victory, because he botched throws to his 2B in two consecutive plays, allowing two of my people to score.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 06:49:14 PM
Actually found it. There is some odd confusion that the duchy of Bar could be in that province - certainly not the case! Will have to think about what to do with that. :(

I figured out how to win as Lorraine: play vanilla. :yeah: :P
Kinemalogue

HisMajestyBOB

Just beat Portal 2.
What the fuck? :lol:

Now to get my brother to play Coop.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Pretty much off computer games now.  I hate first person shooters and there are no strategy games out there worth playing.

If I need a fix I will probably look up some old titles at gog.com but for now I think I am done until something good comes along.  I will of course rely on Languish to let me know when that happens.