News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 11, 2011, 01:14:06 PM
Anyone got any hands on reviews of this game?

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml

I've been thinking of picking up that one.  It's by the same guys who did Manassas and second Manassas games.  I avoided those because they aren't really interesting battles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

no idea about the game, but the screenshot looked remarkably like 2nd manassas. brought back old memories. i did a little investigating about this new madminute game only to discover.. hey! that company no longer exists. seems the original partnership between the two core developers, "norb" and "adam" fractured for some reason. norb has apparently since created norbsoftdev, the company that has released (is releasing?) this gettysburg game. but i asked myself- what happened to adam? clearly norb won in whatever dispute they had

a little more digging revealed a thread on some other non-madminute forum (that forum is now gone)

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=302136&mpage=1

reading through the thread has been enlightening. it sounds like norb up and took the engine that he and the madminute team worked on, and the community had contributed to, and ran with it to create his own company and profit from there

there are a number of old-time community members in the thread who feel betrayed over norb's actions-

QuoteThe fact of the matter is, the whole "story" of how two guys in their spare time (and suffering families) put together a brilliant game turns out to be a fraud.  And through that fraud Norb were able to exploit and manipulate people (including his own partner) for his own personal gain.  As I said in the post which got me "blanket banned," if I had known the truth, and that truth appears to be about how one guy (from the very start) knowingly used not only his partner but volunteers to assist in helping him build a game engine for his own personal gain based on that fraudulent "deeply moving personal story", I would never have given literally hundreds of hours of personal time to help him screw his buddy.

I feel I have been betrayed.  And I won't forget that.

QuoteLook I have been around the block a few times. In the world of business, cheats/scams/frauds happens all the time. There is nothing especially surprising or inventive in the annals of confidence games that Norb has done here.

No doubt there are those who will say that I must have some axe to grind here or why have I posted. I admit I do have an axe to grind against Norb and NSD. This whole crime was perpertrated and timed to coincide with the fact that his one time friend and partner was terribly sick and in mortal danger of losing his very life. Perhaps, Norb would have pulled this con off in any case. However, I think he did his best to put the knife in someone's back when he was down face down on the ground. Call me old fashioned and overly sensitive and naive about how the world works ... but this type of thing REALLY bothers me. I tend to think it should bother most people who have been raised with a good sense of right and wrong; good and evil.

as a twist, in that thread norb starts posting as the user "coder," and defends his own actions while claiming he's not norb. he then accidentally posts under his "norb" account, which is revealed in post #74 by someone who took a screenshot before he deleted it

:lol:

viper37

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops.  Nice games.  More realistic than Crysis 2, and kinda more fun too, in the long run.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Nothing more realistic than being hit with a bullet in the face and feeling better in a few seconds as long as you reach some cover and relax for a bit.

I mean, at least Halo had the shields (and armor, although you basically died if you got hit while your shields were down).  I miss Halo.  I miss my Sexbox.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Pishtaco

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 13, 2011, 01:31:09 AM
Quote from: Pishtaco on September 12, 2011, 01:02:40 AM
I finally managed to shoot somebody down in multiplayer Il 2. I'm on the brink of ordering trackir and pedals.

I re-installed Silent Hunter III, and installed the Grey Wolves mod, since everybody raves about it. So far I've noticed that it's made the ship recognition book unusably large, and is full of sound clips from Das Boot. I gather it doesn't fix the annoying crew crash bug. Plus it's clear from the installation process and the splash screens that the modders have terrible taste. What's so great about it?

It adds many more ships. improves realism and improves the AI.
ive never tried vanilla. Never really wanted to since the mod itself is very fun.

Well, I guess the nazis had terrible taste too, so I can see the realism. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and I'll stick with it for now.

I finally got around to playing Hitman Blood Money, since it dropped under 5 bucks on steam. It's okay. The lighting makes it look old.  :(

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Pishtaco on September 13, 2011, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 13, 2011, 01:31:09 AM
Quote from: Pishtaco on September 12, 2011, 01:02:40 AM
I finally managed to shoot somebody down in multiplayer Il 2. I'm on the brink of ordering trackir and pedals.

I re-installed Silent Hunter III, and installed the Grey Wolves mod, since everybody raves about it. So far I've noticed that it's made the ship recognition book unusably large, and is full of sound clips from Das Boot. I gather it doesn't fix the annoying crew crash bug. Plus it's clear from the installation process and the splash screens that the modders have terrible taste. What's so great about it?

It adds many more ships. improves realism and improves the AI.
ive never tried vanilla. Never really wanted to since the mod itself is very fun.

Well, I guess the nazis had terrible taste too, so I can see the realism. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and I'll stick with it for now.

I finally got around to playing Hitman Blood Money, since it dropped under 5 bucks on steam. It's okay. The lighting makes it look old.  :(

I'm pretty sure it also adds some historical battles; like if you go up around Narvik at the right time you'll run into the British and German fleets. And around Dunkirk during the evacuation you have a lot of British destroyers, ASW trawlers, and various evacuation ships. Not sure if that's in vanilla or not.

EDIT:
By the way, have you played SH4? It looks like there's 2 big mods for it, Trigger Maru Overhauled and Real Fleet Boat. Any recommendation?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on September 13, 2011, 07:31:57 AM

Wow.  Maybe I won't get it.  I don't know Norb from Adam (neat how that stock phrase works so well here!), but logging in to impersonate your own fanboy is really pathetic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PRC

I'm playing Civ V (bought off that recent Steam sale) and i'm loving it, great classic Civ action.

Pishtaco

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 13, 2011, 05:02:57 PM
EDIT:
By the way, have you played SH4? It looks like there's 2 big mods for it, Trigger Maru Overhauled and Real Fleet Boat. Any recommendation?

No, I'm cheap and am looking at SH3 again because I still have the dvd lying around.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 03:14:00 PM
Nothing more realistic than being hit with a bullet in the face and feeling better in a few seconds as long as you reach some cover and relax for a bit.

I mean, at least Halo had the shields (and armor, although you basically died if you got hit while your shields were down).  I miss Halo.  I miss my Sexbox.
If you receive a bullet in the face, you die.  If you receive it on your armor, you can't take more than one or 2 hit before dying.
Of course you heal yourself.  Just imagine an FPS where you won't heal unless you take a 3 month vacation home, away from the front, in an hospital.  That would be realistic, but also boring.  Same as doing your bed, packing your tent super tight, digging your own trenches, stuff that soldiers do when not fighting, you know.  But it's be boring in a game.

In Crysis, you can soak up an enormous amount of damage and use stealth to pass by your ennemies.  That's futuristic and totally sci-fi.
With Crysis 2, my favorite strategy is to use stealh and pick up ennemies 1 by 1 from a distance.  That's can't be done in this game.
It's a change, and I don't dislike it :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

If you want realism play ArmA II.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

WoW
Sims 3
Sims Medieval

In a sense, having a Mac is liberating when it comes to games - the choice is so small, you do not spend a lot of money or time on them. :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 10:17:08 AM
In a sense, having a Mac is liberating when it comes to games - the choice is so small, you do not spend a lot of money or time on them. :P

:lol:

I'm playing Space Pirates & Zombies.

Said zombies are hard.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

BuddhaRhubarb

hmmm new console just may be in my future. Just watched Max Payne 3 trailer.
:p