News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 03, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Downtown... looking to buy BTS for civ 4. Not on sale anywhere. PC vers sure... but I'm not installing parallels just for that. 2 months ago I saw it available at all the places I looked today. grrrr. Yes I'd just buy it online had I the capability, but Visa hates me for paying all my debts off, and that aint happening. Oh well. Vanilla games it is I guess.

I think you're really missing out by not having BTS. Have you checked online retailers?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2010, 12:05:44 AM
Downtown... looking to buy BTS for civ 4. Not on sale anywhere. PC vers sure... but I'm not installing parallels just for that. 2 months ago I saw it available at all the places I looked today. grrrr. Yes I'd just buy it online had I the capability, but Visa hates me for paying all my debts off, and that aint happening. Oh well. Vanilla games it is I guess.

I think you're really missing out by not having BTS. Have you checked online retailers?

thanks for reading. I am as I say in that post, uncapable of making online purchases due to a lack of credit card. I can't have one despite paying off 20 odd years of debts in 5 years.
:p

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 04, 2010, 01:48:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2010, 12:05:44 AM

thanks for reading. I am as I say in that post, uncapable of making online purchases due to a lack of credit card. I can't have one despite paying off 20 odd years of debts in 5 years.

Oops, sorry, hadn't had my coffee yet. :(

What about Amazon? They allow you to pay via bank account transfer over here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Dug out HPS' Modern Campaigns and mods again.

Played the Northeim scenario (North Germany) as Warsaw Pact. Within 9 turns I barely managed to take what I thought werre my objectives, but suffered a minor defeat.

Reviewing the map I noticed there were more important objectives further to the east, twice as far as I had managed, reminding me why playing as WP in these games, esp. during the first onslaught, was so hard:
1. You have to advance recklessly during the initial offensive.
2. Ignore minefields.
3. Ignore single NATO units in the initial push - just get past them.
4. Never, ever let the advance bog down.
5. Accept high losses.
6. Secure supply lines by reinforcements coming from the rear.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The small scenario where you push from Coburg to Bamberg went a bit better.

The main obstacles are:
- prepared NATO positions
- NATO helicopters
- NATO tactical nukes
- halfway through the scenario you'll suffer from a serious lack of fuel and ammo

I managed to take all objectives. However, my losses were too high, so it was a major defeat. I think I would not have made a good Soviet commander. :(

Had a look again at the full Germany scenario. The idea to play WW3 in Germany on a 1mile/hex map is lovely, but at 240x545 hexes, and units at company level this is a bit intimidating. In the North German Plains campaign alone the first WP turn took me over half an hour.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2010, 06:17:50 AM
How is the AI, Syt?

Alright on defense most of the time, as would be expected. Usually the scenarios will designate what side you're supposed to play (i.e. when the game suggests you should play WP vs. AI it'll be very easy as NATO and vice versa). Some scenarios come in three flavors - Side A vs AI, AI vs. Side B or Head to Head. I'm not a genius, so I'm ok with the AI.

Not as bad as in Pike & Musket, though, where I won defensive battles because the AI wouldn't attack me (seems to depend heavily on the scenario, though).

At any rate, best cold war gone hot game out there (with the possible exception of that über-scenario for TOAW with a couple thousand units and a manual of house rules).
—Stephen Jay Gould

szmik

Dwarf Fortress, I have finally got deep into it and I enormously enjoy it, even if it's real mess after first immigrant wave.  :)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

In MLB 2k10 the Pirates beat the Dodgers 3-0. On easy.  :blush:

It's nice that the game has a feature to download the current day's schedule and lineups.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I find myself unable to harvest the Little Sisters in Bioshock even though I crave all the ADAM I'd get for doing so.

I would make a poor Objectivist it seems.  :weep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2010, 09:29:25 AM
I find myself unable to harvest the Little Sisters in Bioshock even though I crave all the ADAM I'd get for doing so.

I would make a poor Objectivist it seems.  :weep:

Don't worry.  They give you little presents  (which include big batches of Adam) if you don't harvest any.  You really don't get much more ADAM by killing them if any.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

Finally got a copy of BTS. Had to talk an apple drone into looking in the stockroom, after he told me he'd never heard of the game. :bleeding: Did a few fits and starts, just to see how it plays. I like some of the scenarios, they seem cool. Anyone played that space colonization one? I'll try a game of it soon I think.

Tamas

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 18, 2010, 12:33:40 AM
Finally got a copy of BTS. Had to talk an apple drone into looking in the stockroom, after he told me he'd never heard of the game. :bleeding: Did a few fits and starts, just to see how it plays. I like some of the scenarios, they seem cool. Anyone played that space colonization one? I'll try a game of it soon I think.

It has its problems (there is a mod on civfanatics to improve it) but it is actually a pretty decent space strategy game, I liked it.

BuddhaRhubarb

cool I'll check that out. thanks Tamas.

Iormlund

Playing Assasin's Creed (came with my new vidcard).

Dissapointing, to be honest. Controls are awkward (looks like a case of bad console port) and things seem quite repetitive. We'll see.