News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

I've been playing Zelda on the Wii.  Really fun game, but I wish they gave you the option of using the normal controller instead of having to waggle the Wiimote like an idiot to swing your sword.

Cerr

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 13, 2009, 06:19:22 AM
I've been playing Zelda on the Wii.  Really fun game, but I wish they gave you the option of using the normal controller instead of having to waggle the Wiimote like an idiot to swing your sword.
You can buy the Gamecube version and play it on the Wii.

Tamas

1866 mod for Mount and Blade looks to be great, altough my Mexican bandit-wanabe Jaron was captured by a band of the Mexican Army, after he joined a bunch of deserters in killing and pillaging some settlers.  :D

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2009, 06:17:05 PM
Majesty 2. All the charm of the first game was sucked out of it by the russian developer and paradox. SURPRISE!

But, only spent 7.50 on it.

I'm happy that I stayed away from that, then.

Paradox had become a caricature of itself, it seems. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 27, 2009, 04:49:43 PM
lolz, my friends want to attempt a D&D 4e session via the interweb tomorrow. I haven't even read the damn book.  :lol:

i will create: a Munchkin. I want the most pluses.

LOL I am playing a Bright wizard in a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaign ran by a friend via mIRC. Are we: :nerd: ?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on December 13, 2009, 08:01:06 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2009, 06:17:05 PM
Majesty 2. All the charm of the first game was sucked out of it by the russian developer and paradox. SURPRISE!

But, only spent 7.50 on it.

I'm happy that I stayed away from that, then.

Paradox had become a caricature of itself, it seems. :P

The elves in the second one don't have their whorehouses.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Anyone play Assassin's Creed II yet?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

Yes, beat it.

Beating up and killing the pope was fun. :D
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Okay this 1866 mod is just a beta but it is already awesome. Re-started my mexican character, joined some gang on the US side of the border and while waiting beside the faction leader who summoned me, the rival gang showed up in numbers and there was a multiple rounds shootout on the barren plains beside railroad tracks.

I already have a winchester and a colt, and got quite used to aiming with the rifle. It is just great to shoot down multiple mexicans off their horses in quick succession with your quick-repeating Winchester.  :cool:

Octavian

Quote from: Tamas on December 13, 2009, 07:22:54 AM
1866 mod for Mount and Blade looks to be great, altough my Mexican bandit-wanabe Jaron was captured by a band of the Mexican Army, after he joined a bunch of deserters in killing and pillaging some settlers.  :D

Yeah I downloaded that yesterday. Have decided to join the us army (cavalry) and then become an indian fighter..
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

HisMajestyBOB

Picked up Silent Hunter III again. It's now mid February 1940, and I'm on my 5th patrol. I've sunk 43,000 tons, half of that on my 3rd patrol (patrol #4 was cut short when I accidentally clicked "Return to Base" instead of "Save and Quit to Menu". Dur :rolleyes: ). My crew is in fine spirits, as I've gotten quite used to command and have proven myself to be quite skillful - U-52 is considered a lucky boat.

Our orders are to patrol a grid a few hundred miles west of Gibraltar, and north of the Canary Islands. My plan is to make my way there at 1/3 speed - there's no rush, and I'd like to sink a few ships before we arrive. Once we are low on torpedoes and fuel, we can simply resupply at the German supply ship in the Canaries, or off the coast of Seville.

Two days into the patrol we sight our first victim - an Empire-type freighter weighing in at 6780 tons, sailing slowly off the coast of Norway. We steam at flank speed to move into position, then dive and wait. Before long, he's right in front of us, and we fire one torpedo, set to Magnetic detonation right under the ship. The shot is right on target and the freighter begins sinking instantly. Already we have our first kill for the patrol; U-52 is clearly a lucky ship!

Eight days later, on the 25th of February, we receive a radio report of an enemy convoy off the northwest coast of Ireland. We aren't far away, and even better, this convoy is actually well-placed for us to intercept, unlike all the other reports we've received since the war started. This will be our first convoy attack, and the weather couldn't be better: overcast, with choppy, but not stormy, seas. We dive and move into position, and after waiting about an hour, the convoy sails right overhead. We're smack-dab in the middle of the convoy, and haven't been detected! I fire two torpedoes, one each at the two ships in front of us, and dive down to 25 meters. About one minute later, and we hear a detonation - the torpedo has impacted! :w00t:

Sadly, the second torpedo missed, but it appears we haven't been discovered at all, so we prepare to fire again. This time, we ready the aft torpedo to fire at a destroyer a little too close for comfort, and my third fore torpedo at another merchant ship. The convoy has largely passed by, so this will be our last shot. I wait for the merchant to move so that we are 90 degrees off her bow, then fire tubes 3 and 5, and dive deep! The destroyer happened to be turning at the moment we fired, so it is no surprise that we miss, but the merchant is hit! Both injured merchant ships begin sinking, and still we have not been discovered, as I hear no SONAR pings, nor depth charges. However, the convoy has largely moved on, and it is time for us to return to our course for our designated patrolling area. Still, this attack was very successful, even if one of the merchants sunk turned out to be a neutral ship.

Our patrol continues, and along the way we sight and sink two more British freighters. Once we reach our patrol grid, we receive a report of another enemy convoy, a large one, moving northwest not far from us. Again we move to intercept, but this time the weather is against us - it is near noon, sunny, with dead-calm seas. Without warning, enemy shells begin impacting around us - they must have found us by Radar! We immediately dive, and not five minutes later, an enemy destroyer comes by and depth-charges our former position. We have lost him, fortunately, and he returns to the convoy. Still, it is an ill-omen.

Having plotted the expected course of the convoy, I see that it will pass over us, like the first one, with at least 3 merchant vessels passing within 1.5km of our bow. We sit still and I set the time compression to x8 speed, waiting for the slow freighters to get within our kill zone.

Suddenly, "They are pinging us, sir!"
What?? Where the hell did he come from?!?
"Depth charges! Electric engines damaged! Propellers damaged! Aft torpedo room damaged!"
"We're taking on water, sir!"
U-52 begins sinking like a rock. At first this is a relief, as we were at 25m when we were attacked, and it is vital to put some depth between us and our assailants. Relief turns to panic as I watch the depth gauge continue to increase. 70 meters... 80 meters... 90 meters... 100 meters... we are now in the yellow danger zone. I order us secure from silent running and put as many men to work at repair as possible, including one officer and one under-officer trained in repair.

150 meters... 160 meters... 170 meters... My men work quickly to repair the damage to the engines and propellers, and to pump the water out of those rooms. We hit 200 meters - crush depth, and out of desperation, I order the ballast tanks blow. Better to go out fighting on the surface than to slowly sink to the depths. Unfortunately this has no effect - perhaps they were damaged in the attack?

240 meters... 250 meters... 260 meters... our depth is now critical. Finally, the engines and propellers are repaired, and I order them to run at full speed and bring us to a safe depth of 100 meters. We stop sinking, but our speed is a mere 2 knots, and we fail to make much progress upwards. Worse, the stern crew quarters continues to flood, and the repair team seems unable to stop it. Our last glimmer of hope fades as the crew quarters fills up. U-52 never returns to the surface.

Summary: 5 patrols (139 days), 16 merchant ships sunk for 60961 tons.
U-52 was lost at sea on March 2nd, with all 51 crewmen lost.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Thanks for the AAR, HMB.  I enjoyed that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Nice AAR, reminds me of my good times with SH3 and AoD :)

Ed Anger

I kept running into the dock in SH3.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM