News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

My very first patrol, I almost had the first victory in the war: I encountered a small tanker off the coast of Cornwall late at night on Sept. 3; fired 3 torpedos, but due to the absolutely shit weather, all missed, and I didn't bother trying to run the tanker down since I was so close to British shore. Then I sailed north through the Irish sea, stalked a convoy just north of Belfast, then got gangraped by 3 destroyers and became the first u-boat casualty of the war.  :blush:

Reloaded, and had a slightly more succesful run - sank a coastal freighter (1800 tons) and a medium cargo ship (~8000 tons). Second patrol - got another coastal freighter early on, then try to go after a warship task force off the coast of Iceland. Unfortunately the damn thing moves way too fast (18kts+!) so by the time I get close enough to spot it, there's no time for me to move into position before it races off. Disappointed, I move into the North Sea and on my way home. Next, though, I spot a medium tanker - 10000 tons! Calm waters, late a night - perfect! Yet, tragically, I feel something is amiss, and as I look at it from 800 meters away through my periscope, I discover that it's a god-damned Norwegian ship, and Norway is still neutral.

Damn those Norwegians.  :mad:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Iormlund

Engaging several destroyers in shallow, calm waters is a very bad idea in GWX as you've found out. :P
Are you calculating the fire solution manually? That's 90% of the fun.

Faeelin

Waiting for Left4dead2 to finish downloading.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Iormlund on November 16, 2009, 11:29:22 PM
Engaging several destroyers in shallow, calm waters is a very bad idea in GWX as you've found out. :P
Are you calculating the fire solution manually? That's 90% of the fun.

Not yet. I'm using all the realistic O2/fuel/etc. options, but I'm still using the Weapons Officer and such, so I'm at about 50% realism. I've also turned off crew fatigue because apparently my crew needs me to tell them when to sleep and shit. I'll start upping the realism once I start getting the hang of it - I'm trying to look up the ship type before it tells me just to practice.

The game reminds me a lot of an old U-boat game I played back in the mid 1990s on my Mac. It tried to be as realistic as it could using the technology, so you had to look up the ship type and enter the height manually (there were only 7 ships: BB, CA, DD, and four types of transports). Lots of fun, so once I can reliably hit the broad side of a battleship with the auto-targeting, I'm gonna try my hand at manual.

And watch as I miss an old tub at 500m.  :lol:

Ed Anger

lolz, my friends want to attempt a D&D 4e session via the interweb tomorrow. I haven't even read the damn book.  :lol:

i will create: a Munchkin. I want the most pluses.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Been successful in my SH3 career, it's January 1940 so soon I'll get to sail out of the French ports. That'll be nice. I managed to get my U-Boat back on Christmas day after a very successful 3rd patrol. Not far off the German/Danish coast I encountered a British sub on the surface, at night, in a storm. I tried taking him out with my last 2 torpedos, but the first I fired when too close (like <200m) so it didn't arm when it hit, and the bastard dodged the 2nd. Since I couldn't use my deck gun, I had to let him go. :(

But, I'm currently on hiatus from SH3 and playing Dorf Fortress yet again.

BuddhaRhubarb

tried a Warlords expansion game yesterday with Languish theme. I suxxored. :p Quit, tried a new game. The highlight was making a city called Caliga's Burg straddled between two "well rounded promontories." Have it saved.  I may go back to it. shouldn't have had the raging barbarians though... just annoying.
:p

Seen

I was wasting 2 days on  'the road to war' mod for civ 4 before I realized I wasted my time because of crap AI.

Yes I lost Danzig to GB and couldnt get it back  :blush:

Razgovory

I just bought a shit ton of cheap games off Steam with their insane sales this week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

In my current OOTP game I just acquired a left fielder by the name of "Carl Marks". :lol:

Phoenix has a "Bill Gates" from Montreal. :unsure:

I also just poured 77 million for 4 years into a contract with a superstar Starter (Alberto "Two Dogs" Salazar from Dominican Rep.). Philly and New York were also trying to get him, driving up the price.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Freespace and Freespace 2 with Freespace Open 3.6.10, which drastically improves the graphics and patches the game. I've never played these games before, and I'm trying to figure why they ran below my radar for so long; they're really good.

Some pretty neat user-made campaigns too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpF1pnb1qXc
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Scipio

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 06, 2009, 11:55:07 AM
Freespace and Freespace 2 with Freespace Open 3.6.10, which drastically improves the graphics and patches the game. I've never played these games before, and I'm trying to figure why they ran below my radar for so long; they're really good.

Some pretty neat user-made campaigns too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpF1pnb1qXc
Try this:

http://babylon.hard-light.net/official_downloads.php
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jaron

Quote from: Seen on November 30, 2009, 01:35:50 PM
I was wasting 2 days on  'the road to war' mod for civ 4 before I realized I wasted my time because of crap AI.

Yes I lost Danzig to GB and couldnt get it back  :blush:

Sounds like you and the crap AI were a match made in heaven then!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2009, 08:59:25 PM
The Witcher is starting to get on my nerves.  I just got a quest to kill a guy after I cleared him of being involved with the bad guys. 
SPOILER

But you don't have to kill him.

/SPOILER
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.