News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2020, 04:09:56 AM
Not much there beyond the John Tiller games. Scourge of War: Waterloo, maybe.

Wargamer's list:

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/napoleonic-war-games/

QuoteWhat are the best Napoleonic War Games?

Scourge of War: Waterloo
Holdfast: Nations at War
Napoleon: Total War
JTS Napoleonic Battles Series
Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle
Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory
L'Empereur
March of the Eagles
Victory and Glory Napoleon
Campaigns on The Danube
Wars of Napoleon

Some of these are grand strategy/operational games, and Holdfast is a multiplayer FPS.

Thanks. I liked the sandbox nature of BoN. I had a great time making a Poltava map and armies. Not really playable, but still.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

The lack of any good current games, let alone one with scenario editor, is quite lamentable. :(

I liked the ambition of Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition with its procedurally generated battles. Unfortunately I can't find my key for this one anymore, so I can't download it. And I don't think I want to spend another 37.99 on it :D

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/crown-of-glory-emperors-edition
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Screw it I bought both games. :P

It's funny how this Budapest '45 scenario (Mor I) pretty much perfectly covers the area where I lived most of my life: :D

There are plenty of typos (and you didn't even see the scenario briefings. They have added a lot of user made scenarios but gawd they could have proofread them at least), but it is kind of cool.

Syt

Yeah typos are part of the deal with JTS games. When I got Modern Campaigns: North German Plain I liked the detail of the map, but there were quite a few errors in place names. I mentioned that I was from the area in the JTS section in the old Wargamer forum and that I would be happy to provide a list of corrections.

I was told that there were no typos because all the location names were taken from NATO maps. :rolleyes: Must have been shitty scans, because there were several cases of e.g. mixing up t and f and such. And in the later Danube Front Salzburg is spelled Salzberg ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Played about an hour of Carrion. Really good fun so far, but I wouldn't consider it very challenging yet. It keeps gradually adding mechanics which is nice. Movement is surprisingly smooth, considering you're an amorphous mass of mouths and tentacles that keeps expanding as you consume more humans. My aim with right stick is crap as usual, but it gets the job done.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2020, 07:39:02 AM
Ok, I'm kinda done for now with Campaign Corinth. I pushed the Rebs across the bridges. I managed to cut off 5 or 6 regiments or so on "my" side and wipe them out. There's just artillery and a small handful of infantry left in Ripley. Some of my units suffered 30% casualties. The regiments that followed my Northern force now hook South and work their way through the forest to get in my rear. It's not really a threat, but more, like, tedious to take a brigade or two to repell them. I guess the laborious shuffling of units is somewhat realistic, but damn.

I played a bit with the Scourge of War tutorials. It feels realistic, despite its aged graphics, but man ... even just commanding a brigade of 5 regimnets is a lot of work in making sure everyone is where they're supposed to. :D

I think the best option for a fix of Civil War battles at the moment that is still somewhat playable is Universal General: Civil War.

I finished the battle since I had only 15 turns to go. I drove the Rebels out of Ripley, and repulsed their rear attack. In the North and South we had some stand offs. The battle ended with a major Union victory. I killed 13 Confederate leaders, including Earl van Dorn. Unfortunately, I lost General Rosecrans. With winning the major victory which in the context of the campaign means that the Rebel armies never manage to form up for the push to Corinth, and the Union army moves south. Which means the campaign ends after two battles unceremoniously with sending me back to the main menu. :D

I guess it's more challenging when you play against a human player or if you give the AI side an advantage on the balance slider.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2020, 05:14:11 AM
Played about an hour of Carrion. Really good fun so far, but I wouldn't consider it very challenging yet. It keeps gradually adding mechanics which is nice. Movement is surprisingly smooth, considering you're an amorphous mass of mouths and tentacles that keeps expanding as you consume more humans. My aim with right stick is crap as usual, but it gets the job done.

This has showed up on Gamepass, ended up spending most of my day with it :D

I am playing with keyboard and mouse, seems to work well.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2020, 06:39:53 AM
. Early war stuff, French equipment that you basically never see in wargames

MMP recently released the new Croix de Guerre. Separate infantry and weapons squads for French, Vichy, Free French + 40 era vehicles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2020, 11:46:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2020, 06:39:53 AM
. Early war stuff, French equipment that you basically never see in wargames

MMP recently released the new Croix de Guerre. Separate infantry and weapons squads for French, Vichy, Free French + 40 era vehicles.

Cheers. Funnily enough they seem to be releasing a WW2 in Hungary operational game as well.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2020, 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2020, 05:14:11 AM

This has showed up on Gamepass, ended up spending most of my day with it :D

I am playing with keyboard and mouse, seems to work well.

Finished it. Great fun.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

I've been playing Banished with Colonial Charter mod and a few smaller mods. Also was playing Civ 6 a bit, got back into that. I also play HOI4 a lot, often playing Japan.

Caliga

I beat Disco Elysium the other day.  Awesome game, reminded me a lot of Planescape: Torment. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

Been getting back into Kerbal Space Program after a long time away.  I've gotten about as far as I've ever done before, plus a little.  I've explored and landed on Mun and Minmus and sent out a probe into the Kerbol system.  Now I'm almost ready to start exploring outside the local Kerbal area.

I finally dug into the space plane area too.  It's fun to have a flight simulator built in where you have to build your own planes from scratch.

Josquius

Space planes are in there by default? I thought they were mods only?
Thats where my kerbal experiments fell down. Got too wrapped up in mods.
██████
██████
██████