Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

-Hell Let Loose
-Suzerain
And tonight Metro: Exodus.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Syt

How do you like Suzerain? It kind of looked like a modern take on Hidden Agenda?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Saladin

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2020, 07:49:01 AM
How do you like Suzerain? It kind of looked like a modern take on Hidden Agenda?

Yes, but more fleshed out and a fantastic soundtrack. 
It's a really cool game.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Syt

Thanks, I'll add it to my wishlist. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Playing some Valheim. Very pleasant as these games go. Still in Early Access but very playable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

I got on the Skyrim train this past summer (SSE on PC) and have spent a fair amount of time playing and probably an equal amount of time mucking around with mods.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Brain on February 25, 2021, 05:29:21 PM
Playing some Valheim. Very pleasant as these games go. Still in Early Access but very playable.

This game is very cool and chill. Worth the $20 imo.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

What is so special about it? Out of all the games in the punch-trees-to-make-a-pick-so-you-can-pick-rocks genre, what makes it stand out?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2021, 01:42:30 PM
What is so special about it? Out of all the games in the punch-trees-to-make-a-pick-so-you-can-pick-rocks genre, what makes it stand out?

I haven't played all the competition, mostly just Conan: Exiles. My impression is that if you're playing a game in the genre that you're happy with there's little reason to switch to Valheim. That being said it's simply competently made. I think they made the right choice when it comes to the style of graphics (low-res textures with nice lighting etc). The environments, especially the Black Forest, are nice. There's little aggravation (from what I've seen so far). Viking stuff is always a plus. The sailing mechanics seem to make sense. It's made by Swedes.

On Steam there's currently 114k reviews, of which 96% are positive.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

That last sentence doesn't really say why a person should be excited about it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

This fellow got sucked into Valheim and has several informative posts on the game :

http://bhagpuss.blogspot.com/

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
I got on the Skyrim train this past summer (SSE on PC) and have spent a fair amount of time playing and probably an equal amount of time mucking around with mods.

Have you used Legacy of the Dragonborn https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802 yet?  It is both a quest mod, a player-home mod, and a sort of a meta-mod, in that it gives you a reason to play the game's quests for a reason other than following the main quest.  I like it a lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2021, 01:42:30 PM

I've not played any of the other games in this genre except Minecraft many years ago. Started playing this because my brother got into it and we've started a dedicated server so we can work on our in-game projects without having to both be on at the same time.

This game is very accessible and pretty chill. There is some combat, and progression is based around several bosses you must defeat, but you can do it entirely at your own pace. Building things is easy. There's a lot here to discover and exploration is rewarding. Overall, it's easy to play, relaxing, and quite fun in co-op. Plus at $20 it isn't expensive.

It's a good, solid game in early access when other games in early access are complete trash fires, so a nice foundation to build on. If you don't normally play this type of game, like me, it would be worth a shot to see if you enjoy it. I think it is best played with a friend or three, though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Haven't played it yet, but from what I gather it's not as hardcore as some other survival/crafting games out there, meaning you don't have to fill your health/thirst meters every few minutes, but rather food & drink serves as a (desirable) buff. This article explains it somewhat: https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-is-better-because-it-rejects-boring-survival-systems/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2021, 07:39:25 AM
Have you used Legacy of the Dragonborn https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802 yet?  It is both a quest mod, a player-home mod, and a sort of a meta-mod, in that it gives you a reason to play the game's quests for a reason other than following the main quest.  I like it a lot.

Not yet. I've heard of it and looked at it, and it's on my list to consider for my next playthrough. But... there are a lot of mods on the list to consider for my next playthrough  :lol: