News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Black History Month 2013

Started by garbon, February 05, 2013, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 08, 2013, 02:44:58 PM
Mulattoes and mestizos tend to be forgotten in these discussions.

We're a large part of visible black society today - so no worries. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Good. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2013, 02:33:56 PM
They're now covered - because of the change in historiography in the 60s and 70s. It's developed subsequently. But the truth is that I think they're seen as relatively peripheral to the grander narrative - which is why occasionally focusing on that perspective at the expense of the 'story of the civil war' is valuable.

As traditional as 'Battle Cry of Freedom'

Well of course with the Civil War in particular the reason these reasons were not brought up back in the 60s were the same reasons the war was fought in the first place.  The Lost Cause ideology was still very strong.

Now I don't know.  It would have to be on hell of a Lettowist telling of the story for black Americans not to be central to the narrative.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Well yeah we elected one President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on February 08, 2013, 02:49:31 PM
Fucking halfbreeds <_<
Funny coming from a guy who mein volk would view as a halfbreed himself. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on February 08, 2013, 03:05:20 PM
Funny coming from a guy who mein volk would view as a halfbreed himself. :)

Irony. :bleeding:

Kleves

Black history is great and all, but does it really take a whole month to talk about the invention of peanut butter?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Quote from: Kleves on February 08, 2013, 05:42:41 PM
Black history is great and all, but does it really take a whole month to talk about the invention of peanut butter?

:lol:

George Washington Carver does indeed sound like a cool guy though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2013, 05:49:44 PM
Quote from: Kleves on February 08, 2013, 05:42:41 PM

:lol:

George Washington Carver does indeed sound like a cool guy though.

He is one of our most illustrious nerds :wub:

sbr

Not bad.  There were 3 posts in 72 hours before my White History Month comment, then almost 70 in the next 8 hours. :smoke:

garbon

Quote from: sbr on February 08, 2013, 06:22:16 PM
Not bad.  There were 3 posts in 72 hours before my White History Month comment, then almost 70 in the next 8 hours. :smoke:

Of course, I was the one who bumped the thread. ;)