Should frivolous legal "harassment" be penalised in some circumstances?

Started by Martinus, February 06, 2013, 10:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2013, 07:16:00 PM
The difference is that there are already anti-trust experts working in the justice system, since illegal trusts are a criminal matter.  On the other hand, cease and desist letter often involve things like copyrights which are usually a civil rather than criminal matter, so there's no division or department in the prosecutor's office that specializes in them.  Therefore, they'd have to go to considerable expense to bring in experts just to determine if the person on whose behalf the letter was sent has a reasonable complaint.  And of course in many cases there is a reasonable complaint, so it would end up being a complete waste of resources.

Only until it is made clear that abusing the system will cost you more than you'll gain. The only reason we see a lot of this crap is because it works.

Of course here we're going backwards. Thanks to that wonderful assortment of crooks we like to call the Spanish Government we're actually increasing the cost for victims to defend themselves now. :mad:

Scipio

Fuck yes.  I hate this thuggery which I encounter on a regular basis.

My personal favorite is a disbarred attorney operating a collection agency names [Disbarred Assholes Name] and Associates.  We settled his hash PDQ.  Needless to say, he don't fucking operate (although he's not been charged with the multiple felonies he has committed).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Iormlund on February 08, 2013, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: dps on February 07, 2013, 07:16:00 PM
The difference is that there are already anti-trust experts working in the justice system, since illegal trusts are a criminal matter.  On the other hand, cease and desist letter often involve things like copyrights which are usually a civil rather than criminal matter, so there's no division or department in the prosecutor's office that specializes in them.  Therefore, they'd have to go to considerable expense to bring in experts just to determine if the person on whose behalf the letter was sent has a reasonable complaint.  And of course in many cases there is a reasonable complaint, so it would end up being a complete waste of resources.

Only until it is made clear that abusing the system will cost you more than you'll gain. The only reason we see a lot of this crap is because it works.

Of course here we're going backwards. Thanks to that wonderful assortment of crooks we like to call the Spanish Government we're actually increasing the cost for victims to defend themselves now. :mad:

I think you're missing the point that if we go this route, we'd have to investigate anyone sending a cease and desist letter, even if they had a legitimate greivance against the person to whom the letter was sent.  A waste of time and money.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Scipio on February 08, 2013, 08:30:39 PM
Fuck yes.  I hate this thuggery which I encounter on a regular basis.

My personal favorite is a disbarred attorney operating a collection agency names [Disbarred Assholes Name] and Associates.  We settled his hash PDQ.  Needless to say, he don't fucking operate (although he's not been charged with the multiple felonies he has committed).

I had to sue one of those turds who didn't get it through his thick skull that I wasn't the person he was looking for.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive