Main Menu

Black History Month 2013

Started by garbon, February 05, 2013, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2013, 10:58:55 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 08, 2013, 09:40:35 AM
Why is there no White History Month? :mad:

They should have Spic History Month, though, considering that they're close to (or already have?) overtaken Blacks as largest ethnic minority.

Or is that covered by 5 May?

:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hispanic_Heritage_Month

Oddly though they just get a 30 day window and not an actual month.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2013, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
Neil, it's a struggle to pretend to care for an hour, much less a month.
Do you guys have roving bands of history enforcers down there?  I would think that Berkut would have mentioned that during his liberty harangues.

Really, what's required of you is pretty slim.  All you have to do is not shout 'nigger' at the top of your lungs when someone mentions a historical black guy.  If you can manage that, you've done your part.  It's more a thing for black folks than white ones.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Agree w/ Neil's post.

The only real burden I've experienced from Black History Month is the little snippets on public television.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:19:52 AM
Agree w/ Neil's post.

The only real burden I've experienced from Black History Month is the little snippets on public television.

And really I enjoy it.  African American history is pretty interesting with lots of colorful and important people and high drama.   Things like Asian American history are just things like 'blah blah was the first Asian American Congressman' yawnsville.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2013, 11:22:30 AM
And really I enjoy it.  African American history is pretty interesting with lots of colorful and important people and high drama.

It's a suckfest.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:25:41 AM

Are you kidding?  Stephen Douglas is so cool it really should just be his month :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2013, 11:26:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:25:41 AM

Are you kidding?  Stephen Douglas is so cool it really should just be his month :P

Weren't you just going on about how every month was white history month and now you're trying to steal this one. Tsk, tsk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

A little.  There are some cool stories out there.  Booker T. Washington's story is totally cool. 

But I've definitely heard the Crispus Attucks story WAY to many times.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2013, 11:30:21 AM
Weren't you just going on about how every month was white history month and now you're trying to steal this one. Tsk, tsk.

Hey!  I contributed to the Richard III thread!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:31:53 AM

A little.  There are some cool stories out there.  Booker T. Washington's story is totally cool. 

But I've definitely heard the Crispus Attucks story WAY to many times.

I figured you would like Booker T, I think his ideas were spot on even if he did not have the entire solution and he was autocratic and controlling.  He gets attacked by black leaders today alot though for what I think are unfair reasons.  'Accommodationist'....meh, ridiculous.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:31:53 AM
Booker T. Washington's story is totally cool.

Indeed.  His and many other black historical figures' stories are cool.  But having a black history month always just seemed a bit silly to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2013, 11:22:30 AMAfrican American history is pretty interesting with lots of colorful [...] people

Indeed it is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2013, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
Neil, it's a struggle to pretend to care for an hour, much less a month.
Do you guys have roving bands of history enforcers down there?  I would think that Berkut would have mentioned that during his liberty harangues.

Really, what's required of you is pretty slim.  All you have to do is not shout 'nigger' at the top of your lungs when someone mentions a historical black guy.  If you can manage that, you've done your part.  It's more a thing for black folks than white ones.

Well, we just can't have that, now can we?  That would be too much to ask.

It is unfortunate that so many Americans would rather ignore Black History Month, considering the sheer wealth of history, art and literature available.
You'd think Star Spangled fucktards would want to know about it as much as the Founding White Fathers, as it's such an integral part of our national history.