Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

Started by jimmy olsen, February 05, 2013, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2013, 10:27:13 PMThe constitution provides for a declaration of war though, which I will note was not done in either of those cases.
And the last declaration of war was WW2 :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

That's the worst cartoon I've read since the last one Phil posted.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2013, 12:13:53 PM
Thanks.  Can you give me a steer to a court case/cases in which the US Constitution is held to be interpreted differently outside the US than internally?  I know that citizenship can create external jurisdiction over an individual, but can't seem to find cases where a government action  is held to be legal merely because it is being carried out outside the US. 

The Insular Cases.  Johnson v. Eisentrager.  US v. Verdugo-Urquidez.
I also consider the Chinese Exclusion Case to fall under this category.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

Fugitive LAPD-killer is first drone target on U.S. soil

"It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil."

http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

Razgovory

That's a stupid story and then I saw stupid comments on it.  I feel dumber just reading that.  How is that materially different then using a helicopter to search for a fugitive?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2013, 10:17:43 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2013, 12:13:53 PM
Thanks.  Can you give me a steer to a court case/cases in which the US Constitution is held to be interpreted differently outside the US than internally?  I know that citizenship can create external jurisdiction over an individual, but can't seem to find cases where a government action  is held to be legal merely because it is being carried out outside the US. 

The Insular Cases.  Johnson v. Eisentrager.  US v. Verdugo-Urquidez.
I also consider the Chinese Exclusion Case to fall under this category.
Thanks.  I couldn't find any but US v. Verdugo-Urquidez, either.   Still, the latter is pretty interesting, especially the pinhead-dancing that allowed the Supremes to conclude that the rights of 'the people" mentioned in the Fourth Amendment are of an entirely different character than the rights of "persons" in the Fifth and Sixth Amendments.

While, on the face of it, US v. Verdugo-Urquidez would seem to support the reasons for my confusion, it does answer the question I posed to you.  Thanks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2013, 10:04:47 AM
Thanks.  I couldn't find any but US v. Verdugo-Urquidez, either.   Still, the latter is pretty interesting, especially the pinhead-dancing that allowed the Supremes to conclude that the rights of 'the people" mentioned in the Fourth Amendment are of an entirely different character than the rights of "persons" in the Fifth and Sixth Amendments.

It's a significant result, among other things it allows the government to use results from overseas wiretaps that probably wouldn't pass muster here.

The Insular Cases were a series of cases relating to the US administration of territories acquired from Spain  after 1898 - some of them are actually cited in the Verdugo-Urquidez opinion.  They held that certain constitutional guarantees were not applicable in the territories such as jury rights (not entirely suprising given the nasty little counter-insurgency campaign fought in the Phillipines).   Johnson v. Eisentrager was a prosecution of German saboteurs in WW2 - some have claimed that it stands for the proposition that non-citizens lack the right to the writ of habeas corpus, although the Supreme Court did not accept that sweeping reading in the terror cases.  The Chinese Exclusion Case upheld the nation's first federal immigrant exclusion law despite the awkward fact that no such enumerated power seems to exist - the Court invoked the inherent powers of the US as a sovereign, apparently confusing the sovereign People with their limited instrument, the federal government.  The potential implications of that reasoning are pretty far reaching as it suggests that constitutional restraints are not entirely binding the more the federal government acts in a traditional sovereign capacity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Scipio on February 09, 2013, 02:56:08 PM
My beef is that with regard to US military action, the only concern needs to be the application of the law of war, unless we're talking about civilian agencies operating these drones. 

Does it really turn entirely on what agency of the Exec branch flies the drone?  Because then evading certain legal niceties merely requires that a guy in a suit and tie hand over his controller to a guy in a uniform.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on