Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

Started by jimmy olsen, February 05, 2013, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Legal beagles (by which I mean Minsky), can you explain to me why it matters that this is about "American citizens?"  The US Constitution forbids the government from depriving "any person" of life without due process.  The "American citizen" distinction doesn't make sense from this perspective.  Is there another statute or court decision that applies here stating that American citizens have protections from lethal US government actions that non-citizens don't have?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

It is a general observation. You people here are just parts of the big whole, in your own way.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 05, 2013, 07:40:39 AM
It is a general observation. You people here are just parts of the big whole, in your own way.

Ok, Grals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

Sure it happens sometimes but I think I have to agree with Raz on this, right now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

We really are opening up a can of worms with all these drones.  In just a couple decades most countries are going to have them (if they do not already)...makes those nutters with the reinforced bunkers seem not so nutty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2013, 07:30:26 AM
Legal beagles (by which I mean Minsky), can you explain to me why it matters that this is about "American citizens?"  The US Constitution forbids the government from depriving "any person" of life without due process.  The "American citizen" distinction doesn't make sense from this perspective.  Is there another statute or court decision that applies here stating that American citizens have protections from lethal US government actions that non-citizens don't have?

Yeah that is a good question.  Even though the Bill of Rights and so forth never specifically mentions 'citizens' but seems to be for everybody, but in practice it seems like it is assumed to be just for citizens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2013, 05:17:29 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 05, 2013, 04:10:54 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

So CdM's argument is that he is not a hypocrite, because Tim would have a view on one thing and derspiess would have a different view on another thing?  :hmm:

I'm not making any argument here, other than Timmay is a twat commentator.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2013, 08:51:07 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

So CdM's argument is that he is not a hypocrite, because Tim would have a view on one thing and derspiess would have a different view on another thing?  :hmm:

Yeah, I've no idea how you got looped in.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2013, 09:22:01 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

As member of the Democrat Tribe here.

CountDeMoney

Shame Languish loses its archives every six months, or you'd find that I've always supported any administration's use extrajudicial assassinations of terrorist assmonkeys from above, regardless of their citizenship.

So eat me.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2013, 08:37:08 AM
Yeah that is a good question.  Even though the Bill of Rights and so forth never specifically mentions 'citizens' but seems to be for everybody, but in practice it seems like it is assumed to be just for citizens.

The Constitution and BoR refers to the US government, and doesn't apply to any individuals, US citizen or not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2013, 09:40:40 AM
The Constitution and BoR refers to the US government, and doesn't apply to any individuals, US citizen or not.

I got what you meant.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 05, 2013, 09:24:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2013, 09:22:01 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

As member of the Democrat Tribe here.

You need to stop taking Berkut and Grumbler's posts so seriously.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas