News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Gay Legal Rulings Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 04, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

He thinks that you're into rednecks. :Embarrass:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2013, 12:47:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2013, 12:42:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2013, 03:00:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/nj-court-agrees-allow-same-sex-marriages-monday-183328605.html
does that mean you can marry a NJ man instead of a UK man?

:huh:
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2013, 11:56:54 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/britain-legalizes-gay-marriage-133757426.html
Alright so now I need to find a English or Welsh man who wants to marry me next year so I can finally do the whole move to the UK bit.

If all you want to do is get out of New York to be married, it seems New Jersey is a tad closer... no?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I think you misunderstood that post of mine and I can already get married in New York.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Oh, since I haven't seen anybody else mentioning it, I see Christie's finally realized that he's coming up on an election year- he dropped his appeal on the gay marriage issue this morning, and still managed to get a backhand swipe at the judiciary into it. :lol:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/21/gay-couples-wed-as-nj-recognizes-nuptials/3141655/

Quote"Although the governor strongly disagrees with the court substituting its judgment for the constitutional process of the elected branches or a vote of the people, the court has now spoken clearly as to their view of the New Jersey Constitution and, therefore, same-sex marriage is the law," the governor's statement said. "The governor will do his constitutional duty and ensure his administration enforces the law as dictated by the New Jersey Supreme Court."
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2013, 07:56:51 PM
Have someone in mind? :shifty:

derspiess, duh!  Er, actually I forget which one is in North Jersey, DGuller or derspiess. :blush:
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Guller's in Jersey, Spiess in WKRP land.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2013, 08:20:21 PM
Guller's in Jersey, Spiess in WKRP land.

:face: Figures I'd get it backwards.  D is for Lysdexia.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2013, 06:23:07 PM
I think you misunderstood that post of mine and I can already get married in New York.
ah, sorry.  I'm not up to speed with US marriage laws. :(

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2013, 09:42:59 PM
I agree with Christie :mellow:

You've got it backwards.  Christie tried to make it a fig leaf- voters want gay marriage, they have to say so.  The court told him not only that a referendum isn't necessary to codify every single right given to citizens, it was actually already done by the decision that resulted in NJ granting civil unions in the first place (they came about because The Powers That Be™ told NJ they needed to give homo couples an equivalent option to marriage.  All that happened was that the issue was revisited and it was decided that civil unions weren't doing that job.

If he had succeeded in getting that challenge all the way to SCOTUS, they look at very, very narrow topics when they do hear a case.  They basically would have looked at that: civil unions were implemented to equivocate marriage, they did not, so marriage needed to be opened up to homo couples.  That's a pretty hard topic to argue, and Christie would have ended up being the Republican governor that brought a case to SCOTUS that opened the floodgates across the country.

Long story short, he took a known loser way too far, and he found himself without a way to withdraw gracefully.  It's all politicking with that dude.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 22, 2013, 01:37:09 AM
You've got it backwards.  Christie tried to make it a fig leaf- voters want gay marriage, they have to say so.  The court told him not only that a referendum isn't necessary to codify every single right given to citizens, it was actually already done by the decision that resulted in NJ granting civil unions in the first place (they came about because The Powers That Be™ told NJ they needed to give homo couples an equivalent option to marriage.  All that happened was that the issue was revisited and it was decided that civil unions weren't doing that job.

If he had succeeded in getting that challenge all the way to SCOTUS, they look at very, very narrow topics when they do hear a case.  They basically would have looked at that: civil unions were implemented to equivocate marriage, they did not, so marriage needed to be opened up to homo couples.  That's a pretty hard topic to argue, and Christie would have ended up being the Republican governor that brought a case to SCOTUS that opened the floodgates across the country.

Long story short, he took a known loser way too far, and he found himself without a way to withdraw gracefully.  It's all politicking with that dude.

I think you have it somewhat wrong; Christie couldn't pretend that he hadn't vetoed the legislature's law recognizing gay marriages, so he used euphamisms in his statement about  "the court substituting its judgment for the constitutional process of the elected branches."  It was really the court substituting its judgement for his judgement.

But you are correct in that this was a quixotic, partisan-motivated quest on his part.  Once the USSC had ruled that the feds had to recognize gay marriage but not necessarily civil unions, the jig was up on the old NJ law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Illinois should be bringing it to a vote again in January. At least, I hope they will. I'd much rather this be voted into law than forced on the state by judges. Not because I necessarily care, but the end-result will change how the population feels about it, I think.

The conservative down-staters are fighting this tooth and nail, and I think it would be better if their legislators do the deed. They're more likely to accept it sooner than if a judge declares it necessary.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...