And we're back!

Main Menu

The Gay Legal Rulings Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 04, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Also, they are not gay. They are wearing House Bolton's colors.  :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 09:07:22 AM
11B - see above. This is how it's done. :)

Right, well, terribly sorry old boy.  :blurgh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 12:28:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 09:07:22 AM
11B - see above. This is how it's done. :)

Right, well, terribly sorry old boy.  :blurgh:

We all make mistakes. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 09:53:34 AM
How many states will it take before the Feds will make it law? I mean, I assume that's kind of what they're waiting on.

I dont think there will ever be a federal marriage law.
The real issue at the federal level is DOMA and we could get a ruling on that next month.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Hungary scores surprisingly high.

Syt

Austria seems to score low on protection from hate speech/crime (18%), anti-discrimination laws (26%) and 40% in family recognition.

Germany scores only 5% in protection from hate speech/crime. Whereas Hungary scores pretty high in that field.

Country score sheets:

http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/publications/reports_and_other_materials/rainbow_europe/score_sheet
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Who knew Monaco was so anti-gay?  If I was a gay man in Monaco I would be so outraged I would move across the street to France.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2013, 10:30:03 AM
Who knew Monaco was so anti-gay?  If I was a gay man in Monaco I would be so outraged I would move across the street to France.
It depends how rich a gay man I was :P

I was surprised by how low the Netherlands were and they fall down on protection against hate speech/crimes, anti-discrimination laws and gender laws. Hate speech/crime and gender recognition laws are also the UK's weakest areas apparently :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I'm a bit unclear about the protection from hate crime/speech bit. Are they asking for specific laws covering LBGTI community?

My knowledge of the German judicial system is rusty, but IIRC the law itself doesn't distinguish whether an assault was a guy beating up his wife, a skin beating up a Turk or a homophobe beating up a gay person (though it may influence the judges on how they view the case, how severe the verdict will be etc.). So I guess that warrants a low score?

With hate speech - Germany has laws against inciting to violence, or libel, but AFAIK no special laws that restrict calling a homosexual a "Schwuchtel" ("fag"). And quite honestly, I'm rather against regulating too much what people can say. Let idiots unmask themselves with their statements.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The constitutional court in Croatia has kicked sexual ed out of the school curriculum after protests from enraged Catholics that it would teach that homosexuality is normal. Official reasoning: there should have been a public debate before adding this module to the curriculum.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2013, 11:22:43 PM
The constitutional court in Croatia has kicked sexual ed out of the school curriculum after protests from enraged Catholics that it would teach that homosexuality is normal. Official reasoning: there should have been a public debate before adding this module to the curriculum.

And we are letting these shits into the EU?

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2013, 12:17:48 AM

They let Poles in, didn't they?
and the horse you rode in on

Martinus

Quote from: fahdiz on May 23, 2013, 12:19:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2013, 12:17:48 AM

They let Poles in, didn't they?

Hey, I have always been saying that had I not been a Pole, I would have opposed Poland's entry into the EU tooth and nail. But only because they once let in a bunch of troglodyte religious nutjobs which coincided with my personal interest, it does not mean they should be letting in all the other troglodyte religious nutjobs out there.

See, while I pride myself on holding strong personal convictions, I would never let them get in the way of my self-interest. See: foie gras bans, raising the taxes on the 1% etc. :P

fhdz

I suppose there's the argument that bringing them into the fold will possibly hasten the moderation of their views rather than the opposite.
and the horse you rode in on