Will Israel ever physically attack Iran's nuclear infrastructure?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2013, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Israel ever physically attack Iran's nuclear infrastructure?

Yes
7 (43.8%)
No
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

jimmy olsen

After reading the umpteenth news article in the last five years speculating on an upcoming Israeli airstrike on Iran, I put the question to you Languish. Will Israel ever physically attack Iran's nuclear infrastructure?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16835731-analysis-israel-airstrike-may-foreshadow-iran-attack?lite

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 04, 2013, 10:21:09 AM
Didn't they wack one of the scientists or engineers?
Do people count as infrastructure?

I was thinking buildings, labs, etc.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Timmy, IIRC you were dead certain an Israeli attack was bound to happen like, a year ago.  I offered you a bet, and you weaseled.

DGuller

I have my doubts.  Israel doesn't sound like it's talking from the position of strength.

Warspite

I don't deal in certainties. But I'll give you a 10% chance of Israel unilaterally hitting Iran in the next 18 months.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

All you can go on is history, and ask yourself:  when backed into a corner and confronted with a threat, either real or perceived, does Israel have a history of acting independently?

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2013, 01:12:59 PM
All you can go on is history, and ask yourself:  when backed into a corner and confronted with a threat, either real or perceived, does Israel have a history of acting independently?
They've never been backed into a corner by a country as powerful and remote as Iran.  I just don't think they have the capability to do anything except a desperate move.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2013, 01:16:05 PM
They've never been backed into a corner by a country as powerful and remote as Iran.  I just don't think they have the capability to do anything except a desperate move.

If Iran gains the capability to launch nukes at Israel I am not sure how remote Iran would be at that point.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2013, 02:08:28 PM
If Iran gains the capability to launch nukes at Israel I am not sure how remote Iran would be at that point.
Just as remote.  Israel would be a lot closer to Iran, though.

CountDeMoney

They've never been backed into a corner by a country as powerful and remote as Iran.

They've been backed into plenty of corners before, whether it was being surrounded by enemy states that declared war on them the moment they achieved nationhood, to preemptive war, to going into Lebanon on more than one occasion to deal with what they would consider existential threats.   Remote's got nothing to do with Israel's ability to do something militarily if they feel they are forced.  Just ask Idi Amin.

QuoteI just don't think they have the capability to do anything except a desperate move.

What you think doesn't matter; it's what they think.  And they may have an entirely different definition of "desperate".

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2013, 02:26:11 PM
They've never been backed into a corner by a country as powerful and remote as Iran.

They've been backed into plenty of corners before, whether it was being surrounded by enemy states that declared war on them the moment they achieved nationhood, to preemptive war, to going into Lebanon on more than one occasion to deal with what they would consider existential threats.   Remote's got nothing to do with Israel's ability to do something militarily if they feel they are forced.  Just ask Idi Amin.

QuoteI just don't think they have the capability to do anything except a desperate move.

What you think doesn't matter; it's what they think.  And they may have an entirely different definition of "desperate".

I dunno Seedy.  The Swashbuckling Jews that defeated the combined arab armies in '47 and again in '67, that conducted the Entebbe operation, seems to be gone.  Instead we've had several inept campaigns into Lebannon, and raids into Gaza that have accomplished little.

This aint yo momma's IDF.  There won't be another Osirak strike. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.