And we're back!

Main Menu

Blu ray

Started by Josquius, January 27, 2013, 01:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you buy blu ray over standard dvds?

I only get blu ray. Give me blu ray or give me death
5 (17.9%)
Blu ray always preferred. I will buy a DVD if there's no blu ray version.
6 (21.4%)
I mostly buy blu ray
0 (0%)
I mostly buy regular DVDs
0 (0%)
I usually get DVDs. Only get blu ray for some movies
5 (17.9%)
DVD forever. Blu ray is pointless
2 (7.1%)
I don't even have a blu ray player
6 (21.4%)
All digital baby, all digital.
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

MadImmortalMan

I mostly don't buy discs. I have a few bluray movies though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2013, 01:28:47 AM
Just bought my first blu ray. Am somewhat doubtful of its worth since you have to pay a premium. I shall see.
I buy only blu ray, and usually buy them when they are on special so I don't have to pay a premium, except for 3D.

On rent, blu ray is preferred, but the quantity is limited, so I'll rent a DVD in worst case scenario, and if the movie is really good, I'll buy it later on Blu Ray.

I do see a difference in the image, not only in the sound.  Lots more details when you pay attention.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

My problem with the digital media is the lack of physical ownership. I like actually having a nice little colourful case and a disc in my hand, actually owning the media in question (sure sure, technically and legally thats not the case but in practice it is).
Digital media....theres not much difference to pirating apart from the lesser legal risk and slight feeling of doing the right thing.

QuoteI buy only blu ray, and usually buy them when they are on special so I don't have to pay a premium, except for 3D.
Even there though blu ray does tend to be more expensive. i.e. this one I bought was on special for 1500 (i.e. the standard price back home....pfff Japan) whereas the DVDs on special were 1000.
I figured thoguh since it was a modern action film (Die Hard 4.0. Not seen it yet), it might be worth it, and I was curious to investigate.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Assuming it's properly authored, I prefer blu-rays over dvds. The bigger the screen, the better one can see the difference, especially if you like to sit close to the screen. No more overscan in 1080p as well and  you don't need a huge tv to spot that as well.
The sound is also much better than dvd (no more Dolby digital compression for music), a point lost by many but then dubs and post-syncs are bad for the ears. It sounds so much better even for classics recorded in mono.
One does not even need a pricey home cinema sound system to hear the difference. Again, assuming you're used to hear music on something else than crappy mp3s or streaming.
Blu-rays are not that expensive nowadays and decreased pretty quickly actually. I'm sure Comte Largent and other old-timers remember Laserdiscs and their insane prices (Japanese import ? That was like 150 euros on the Virgin Megastore Champs-Elysées for Episode I).
1080p streaming is not the same as Bluray 1080p anyways but for the unwashed masses it will do.
Point is, blu-ray is geared towards the cinephile. Incidentally, CGI crap fests looks even faker on it thanks to the increased resolution ;)

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 28, 2013, 08:50:38 AM
Assuming it's properly authored, I prefer blu-rays over dvds. The bigger the screen, the better one can see the difference, especially if you like to sit close to the screen. No more overscan in 1080p as well and  you don't need a huge tv to spot that as well.
The sound is also much better than dvd (no more Dolby digital compression for music), a point lost by many but then dubs and post-syncs are bad for the ears. It sounds so much better even for classics recorded in mono.
One does not even need a pricey home cinema sound system to hear the difference. Again, assuming you're used to hear music on something else than crappy mp3s or streaming.
Blu-rays are not that expensive nowadays and decreased pretty quickly actually. I'm sure Comte Largent and other old-timers remember Laserdiscs and their insane prices (Japanese import ? That was like 150 euros on the Virgin Megastore Champs-Elysées for Episode I).
1080p streaming is not the same as Bluray 1080p anyways but for the unwashed masses it will do.
Point is, blu-ray is geared towards the cinephile. Incidentally, CGI crap fests looks even faker on it thanks to the increased resolution ;)

Thanks for the heads up, makes sense to a neo-luddite like me. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martim Silva

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 28, 2013, 08:50:38 AM

You nailed it. I hear a lot of people saying they're just streaming/watching 1080p on YouTube, but the fact is... the image quality is nothing compared with Blu Ray. People who think otherwise are just severely deluding themselves.

I also agree that screen size is very important to watch good Blu Ray. Get the biggest TV you can. In particular to someone like me, who if alone tried to watch standing right next to the screen. Full immersion.  :)

I can no longer buy DVDs, only Blu Rays (unless it's a present, as many people around here stick to DVD). And come ON, the price is not an issue unless you like to buy brand new stuff. Blu Ray falls to the exact same price as DVDs over time. Heck, I bought the LoTR trilogy (Extended Edition) in Blu-Ray for £39.99 on Amazon.uk (free shipping), which is less than every single LoTR DVD cost me.

Grey Fox

No one is noticing the difference between 1080p stream vs a 1080p bluray on a ~24 inches monitor.

You are like audio snobs. :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I never got around to getting a blu ray, and now with netflixs and on demand pay per view movies from our TV provider I dont think I will ever buy physical media anyway.