And we're back!

Main Menu

Blu ray

Started by Josquius, January 27, 2013, 01:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you buy blu ray over standard dvds?

I only get blu ray. Give me blu ray or give me death
5 (17.9%)
Blu ray always preferred. I will buy a DVD if there's no blu ray version.
6 (21.4%)
I mostly buy blu ray
0 (0%)
I mostly buy regular DVDs
0 (0%)
I usually get DVDs. Only get blu ray for some movies
5 (17.9%)
DVD forever. Blu ray is pointless
2 (7.1%)
I don't even have a blu ray player
6 (21.4%)
All digital baby, all digital.
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Josquius

Just bought my first blu ray. Am somewhat doubtful of its worth since you have to pay a premium. I shall see.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I get blu ray when possible, DVD if blu ray is not available (and not likely to come out anytime soon).

That said, it only really makes a difference when you have a good HD tv, and if it's large enough that you can spot the difference in resolution.

Also, it's usually a good idea to check online review of blu ray releases of your favorite movies - some companies just want to make a quick buck and put no effort in cleaning up the quality.

When it's properly done, it can be amazing, e.g. the LotR movies, Once Upon A Time In The West, or Lawrence Of Arabia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

With my current TV's, the biggest difference I note is in the sound quality.  I get blu-rays (only) when I buy and when I rent most of the time, DVDs where there aren't blu-rays to rent or if I don't have time to watch and need to burn them to watch later. Heh.

DontSayBanana

I've still got a CRT TV.  No reason to get a Blu Ray until I can afford to replace the TV.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

I only have a handful of Blu-Rays for a couple of movies I truly adore;  so much streaming in Hulu, Netflix and Vudu is in HD anyway.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 10:18:47 AM
I only have a handful of Blu-Rays for a couple of movies I truly adore;  so much streaming in Hulu, Netflix and Vudu is in HD anyway.

Seriously.  Hell, even YouTube can and does stream 1080p.  There was a little talk a while ago of Blu Ray killing DVDs, but I think we're more likely to see streaming kill both.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 27, 2013, 10:21:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 10:18:47 AM

Seriously.  Hell, even YouTube can and does stream 1080p.  There was a little talk a while ago of Blu Ray killing DVDs, but I think we're more likely to see streaming kill both.

Yeah, and now with HD downloadable content for phones and tablets, the concept of portability is shoving Blu-Ray out the window as well.

Ideologue

I think it'll take a while for streaming to totally get rid of physical media.  Of the 130 or so Blu Rays I own, I think fewer than 20 are available on Netflix Instant Watch--Last of the Mohicans, Planet of the Apes, and most if not all of my Universal monster movies are the only ones that immediately come to mind.  And of course movies fall off of Instant Watch all the time, which is really annoying when you've putting off watching something for whatever reason, finally sit down to enjoy it, and it's not there anymore.

Also for whatever it's worth Netflix doesn't put extras and such on their streaming service--why, I'm not sure, I guess it's not in the rights package that they contracted for.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2013, 01:28:47 AM
Just bought my first blu ray. Am somewhat doubtful of its worth since you have to pay a premium. I shall see.

I thought the same until I watched one. No comparison.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

I've yet to see a bluray film, maybe I'll skip till the next generation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 27, 2013, 01:41:40 PM
I've yet to see a bluray film, maybe I'll skip till the next generation.

Nah, stick with the projectors and reels. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

The only blurays I have were gifts.  The HDness doesn't really matter to me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Vricklund

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2013, 01:48:14 AM
When it's properly done, it can be amazing, e.g. the LotR movies, Once Upon A Time In The West, or Lawrence Of Arabia.
Aww, why did you have to go and say that, I've been perfectly happy with my dvd copy... :glare:

C.C.R.

Blu Ray & HD TV is in the living room, still Old School TVs & DVD players in bedrooms, so whenever possible try to buy combo packs...

Grey Fox

I don't have a Blu-Ray player mainly because I don't have an HD TV.

I also don't buy movies anymore, 30$ is way expensive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.