News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay marriage in UK set for vote

Started by merithyn, January 25, 2013, 12:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Yay! The US isn't the only behind-the-times country! :w00t:

And I love that adultry isn't a valid reason for divorce for gay couples unless the adultry is committed with someone of the opposite sex, though. :lol:

QuoteMPs are set to get their first chance to vote on plans to allow same-sex marriages in England and Wales.

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill will be debated in Parliament on Tuesday 5 February, the leader of the Commons Andrew Lansley has announced.

The bill will allow same-sex marriage and let religious organisations which want to, to offer them, the culture department says.

The plans have divided the Conservative Party - its MPs will get a free vote.

Labour and the Lib Dems back the proposals to legalise same-sex marriage, but Labour said the exemption for the established Church was "disappointing".

The Church of England and Roman Catholics, among other denominations, have voiced opposition to the plans and are expected to oppose the bill, even with its caveats.

But some religious groups, including Quakers, Unitarians and Liberal Judaism, are in favour.

Culture Secretary Maria Miller told the Commons in December that no religious organisation "will ever be forced to conduct marriages for same-sex couples".

She said the legislation - which will published on Friday ahead of the bill's second reading - would include a "quadruple lock" to protect religious freedom.

The bill is set to specifically exclude the Church of England and Church in Wales to avoid a clash between Canon Law - which defines marriage as that between a man and a woman - and UK civil law.

But a spokesman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said that if the Church of England did want to opt-in to offering same-sex marriages it could, saying a process for doing so was to be set out in the bill.

A public consultation on plans for same-sex marriage received 228,000 submissions.

In its response to the consultation the government says it has no plans to change the definition of adultery or non-consummation of a marriage - which means neither could be cited as grounds for divorce in a same-sex marriage, unless the adultery was with someone of the opposite sex.

They also dismiss the fear that the terms "husband" and "wife" could be removed as a result of same sex marriages.

They also say that teachers "particularly in faith schools will be able to continue to describe their belief that marriage is between a man and woman whilst acknowledging and acting within the new legislative position which enables same sex-couples to get married".

The Scottish Government has published proposed legislation of its own to introduce gay marriage.

Under the plans, religious and faith groups would need to "opt in" to perform same-sex marriages.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Do both of your sentences have to do with the bolded part? US isn't even close to a vote so seems like UK is clearly more ahead on the gay marriage/civil unions front.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 12:16:30 PM
Do both of your sentences have to do with the bolded part?

No.

QuoteUS isn't even close to a vote so seems like UK is clearly more ahead on the gay marriage/civil unions front.

As a nation, we're not, but individual states are there. Given that the UK is smaller than most of our states, I think it's a fair comparison. ;)

garbon

But like I said - UK already has unions which puts it ahead of most of our states. Now they are moving for gay marriage which Sheilbh says will pass. Looks like they are leaving most of the US behind in the dust.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 12:18:30 PM

No.

QuoteUS isn't even close to a vote so seems like UK is clearly more ahead on the gay marriage/civil unions front.

As a nation, we're not, but individual states are there. Given that the UK is smaller than most of our states, I think it's a fair comparison. ;)

We already have civil unions.

Which state are we smaller than (assuming you are referring to population)?

garbon

Quote from: Gups on January 25, 2013, 12:33:42 PM

Clearly she can't be thinking that.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 12:18:30 PM

No.

:yes:

Even without ConneryLand, N.I. and Wales there has to be only a couple of states larger.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

It is such a non issue now in this country that it seems odd that others are still struggling with the issue.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2013, 12:46:50 PM
It is such a non issue now in this country that it seems odd that others are still struggling with the issue.

I don't England and Wales are struggling with it, it's only a small minority who still have a issue with it, mainly Daily Mail readers/UKIP folk and some immigrant communities.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

It was a joke (hence the ;), but I was talking about landmass, not population.

And I was also joking about the UK being as backwards as the US, because clearly, that is not the case.

You guys really do think that I'm an idiot, don't you? *sighs*

garbon

Well after I was confused you continued with the "joke" so...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 01:17:15 PM
Well after I was confused you continued with the "joke" so...

WITH A WINKY FACE!! :contract:

:rolleyes:

garbon

Clearly I wasn't the only one to misunderstand your joke.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 01:23:43 PM
Clearly I wasn't the only one to misunderstand your joke.

Which is why I openly stated that I was joking. Obviously, I didn't count on you guys thinking I was a total moron.

Ed Anger

Just give up. You failed Meri. Clearly, you didn't cast the right spell. Consult Mart's magic book.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive