News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taxes

Started by garbon, January 25, 2013, 09:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Luckily my state income taxes haven't risen at all.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on January 25, 2013, 10:31:55 AM
Luckily my state income taxes haven't risen at all.

Mine have gone up 600% :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I grumbled when I sent in my property taxes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 10:26:03 AM
Like education and infrastructure? Yes, that would be awful.

I don't think construction companies were among the special interests whose votes they wanted to buy with my tax money.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 25, 2013, 10:33:43 AM

Hate property taxes.  They seem ridiculously high here, like my crap little house requires me to shell out hundreds of dollars a month.  I might as well be renting the place from the State of Texas.

But they are probably just as bad everywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 10:32:51 AM
Mine have gone up 600% :weep:

Texas now has an income tax?? :o

When did that happen?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 10:36:41 AM
Texas now has an income tax?? :o

When did that happen?

Um no.  That was my lame joke.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 10:35:13 AM

Hate property taxes.  They seem ridiculously high here, like my crap little house requires me to shell out hundreds of dollars a month.  I might as well be renting the place from the State of Texas.

I wanted to pay in pennies, but I'd have to use a wheelbarrow.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 10:28:39 AM
Meri, I agree that the very low current interest rates make it not that profitable to fine tune your withholding.  But by the same token most people who are not smoking crack cocaine on a daily basis do manage to put aside money on a regular basis to save up for a big future expenditure.

Sure. But tell me the up side to a savings account over a tax return if you want to be certain that you can't/won't pull it out.

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 10:27:24 AM
It seems to me like it puts you in peril of having to go into debt because a large chunk of your paycheck is sitting in government coffers.  I would rather save money without that kind of risk.

That's kind of the point, though. It's savings that you can't touch. Aren't there CDs and Money Markets that are the same? You have to let them ride a certain amount of time before you can cash them out?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 10:35:13 AM

We're sort of half-assed looking to buy this summer. Looking at property taxes, it's ridiculous at $3500/year for a $130,000 house. And it doesn't seem to matter the price of the house so much as the neighborhood it's in. The closer to the University, the higher the taxes, even if the house is only worth $60k.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 10:41:55 AM
That's kind of the point, though. It's savings that you can't touch. Aren't there CDs and Money Markets that are the same? You have to let them ride a certain amount of time before you can cash them out?

As far as I know both Money Markets and CDs enable you to get your money if you need it.

If you desperately need money because your car broke down or whatever what possible good are savings you cannot touch?  Instead you have to take out a high interest loan or use a credit card or something?  I can see somebody who is wealthy being able to tolerate savings they cannot touch but that seems like a recipe for disaster for poors like us.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Looking at property taxes, it's ridiculous at $3500/year for a $130,000 house.

I pay significantly more than that for my $144,000 house.  Just outrageous.

Ed Anger

I better keep my property tax amount secret. It will make Val mad.  :lol:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Looking at property taxes, it's ridiculous at $3500/year for a $130,000 house.

I pay significantly more than that for my $144,000 house.  Just outrageous.

Those are indeed very high. I pay around $7000 on a house (incorrectly) valued by the city at $1 million.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius