News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taxes

Started by garbon, January 25, 2013, 09:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Ugh, just got all my tax forms. I'm now depressed about all the monies they've already taken out - and if last year is any indication - how much more they will be requiring of me. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Having kids and spending money on daycare, education, and a mortgage have seriously lightened my burden I am happy to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Thankfully for mortgage interest, I'll be getting back a few thousand that will help carry me over for a bit, until I can throw my last severance payment onto the Preppers pile in March.

Malthus

No mortgage interest deduction here. But we do get a nice RRSP tax deferral.

My big beef is with the organization that asesses houses for property tax purposes. They have seriously inflated views about how much my house is worth. They assessed it at $1 million. Frankly, they are welcome to buy it at that price ... we have appealed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Americans complaining they pay too much taxes. :lol:

You aint paying your fair share!

@Malthus, my house gain 18% year to year. My in laws a staggering 25%.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 09:25:02 AM
Ugh, just got all my tax forms. I'm now depressed about all the monies they've already taken out - and if last year is any indication - how much more they will be requiring of me. :weep:

You've always got death to look forward too.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Am I right in saying all USAnians have to do their own self-assessment whatever their employment status?* And it's mroe commmon to get a rebate than to have more to pay? Here it's usually only if you're self-employed, and pay as you earn (PAYE) does for the rest of us, with little hope of rebates.

* I learnt this mainly from The Simpsons.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 25, 2013, 09:33:50 AM
Americans complaining they pay too much taxes. :lol:

There ain't no way the house has gained that much. I'm pretty aware of real-estate values in my neighbourhood, and houses that are full renovated and have a two-story addition *may* go for that price. Mine is neither renovated nor has an addition.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on January 25, 2013, 09:50:59 AM
Am I right in saying all USAnians have to do their own self-assessment whatever their employment status?* And it's mroe commmon to get a rebate than to have more to pay? Here it's usually only if you're self-employed, and pay as you earn (PAYE) does for the rest of us, with little hope of rebates.

I learnt this mainly from The Simpsons.
I think so. I'd hate to have to do tax returns :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

If you earn a tiny amount of money ($2,000??) you don't have to file a return.  Everyone else does.

Rebates are much more common than payments due because of the way withholding is calculated.

Shelf: at the easiest you're entering something like 5 numbers.

dps

Well, you don't have to file if you don't have any income (or a very, very low earned income;  I'm not sure of the exact limits, but it's something like under $10K, and even under that level there are some situations where you still have to file), but otherwise, generally, yeah, everybody has to file an income tax return.

The reason most American get a refund is that how much is withheld from you pay is determined by how many exemptions you tell your employer you'll claim.  Most people claim fewer for withholding purposes than they will actually be able to claim, so more is withheld than is really necessary.  People do this for 2 main reason:  first, to be really sure that enough is withheld (nobody wants to be in the position of actually having to cut a check to the IRS when it's time to file;  for a single income household, this isn't really necessary, but for households with more than 1 wage earner, it can be a valid consideration) and second, people tend to use their refund check to pay for their vacation or otherwise treat themselves in some way--it's kind of looked at as a form of found money.

Quote from: Malthus
Quote from: Grey FoxAmericans complaining they pay too much taxes.

There ain't no way the house has gained that much. I'm pretty aware of real-estate values in my neighbourhood, and houses that are full renovated and have a two-story addition *may* go for that price. Mine is neither renovated nor has an addition.

I thought that Malthus was Canadian. 

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2013, 09:52:59 AM
I think so. I'd hate to have to do tax returns :bleeding:
Self assessment used to quite literally keep me awake at night for months every year when I was self-employed.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on January 25, 2013, 10:06:48 AM
second, people tend to use their refund check to pay for their vacation or otherwise treat themselves in some way--it's kind of looked at as a form of found money.

Which is retarded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."