AP: Technology destroying jobs faster than it's creating them.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 24, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Iormlund on January 24, 2013, 07:33:43 PM
A few sectors could see high demand, sure. For example care for the elderly. But that assumes the latter could afford such services in a world with collapsing pension schemes.
To expand on the comment I made in my last post: most companies that serve this market are trying desperately to corner the well-off elderly demographic right now.  For example, my previous company was heavily dependent on providing services funded by Medicare and Medicaid--especially the latter--and in the 2008-2009 timeframe when states started slashing those budgets, the company almost went bankrupt and ended up having to sell out to a PE firm in order to stay afloat.  All of the targeted growth since has been toward the much more lucrative private pay market, and they've since done well and have mostly recovered.

Oh, and they also recently closed down nearly all of their international operations.  The cost of doing business in The Netherlands and France: unacceptable. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

I don't know how plausible that is anymore though Cal. It's now very normal for people to have to do unpaid internships of at least a few months to get into many industries (some, especially in the City, are far more meritocratic). If you've not got a supportive wealthy family, or a supportive normal, London-based family then that makes it difficult for lots of people.

In the UK the other problem is that we don't build enough houses (not helped by the fact that people who own houses tend to be older so they vote, they tend to benefit from the increase of prices due to shortages and homeowners are far more likely to object to new building developments). I think to keep up with household growth over the last decade we needed to build a million houses more than we did. Currently we're building about half the amount needed to keep up with the population.

Either we need to build far, far more houses or we need to do something so the economy's more spread in the country and there's increased demand in areas like the North which have the stock. The government suggested liberalising planning laws a couple of times - but it's very controversial especially with Tory voters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on January 24, 2013, 07:45:19 PM
I'm proud to say that I have never gone back to them for one further cent... and to Shielbh's point earlier I didn't need any help buying a house, and my brother, who is about to buy his first house, won't need any either.  As best as I can tell that's fairly typical here, but then again our cost of living and home ownership is drastically lower than yours.  Anyway, I also know of other folks who had well-off parents and were also expected to fend for themselves so I don't believe I'm a unique snowflake here... and I'm endlessly grateful to my parents for that policy of theirs and have repeatedly thanked them for it in recent years.
Yeah, but you live in the US.  You can get a McMansion for a bus token and a Snickers Bar.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 24, 2013, 05:19:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2013, 04:11:55 PM
I can't wait till we invent robot-lawyers

Internet based research tools have already effectively cut out the need for most junior lawyers and articled students.

Back in the day when we had to do things like noting up cases using paper copies of reporter services noting up one leading case could take days of labour.  Now it is accomplished with the push of a button cutting out the need for firms to hire armies of young lawyers.

It's a start.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on January 24, 2013, 07:30:31 PM
Thinking about elderly care being a big growth sector- I can't help but find this slightly disturbing. Really seems to be a sign of a society which is teetering on the brink, that we would be only surviving by leeching off the last remnants of our more succesful days.
But isn't that true?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on January 24, 2013, 07:45:19 PM
I'm not sure how you would define 'rich' exactly but I would guess my parents would count by your definition... my parents made it clear to me that once I was done with college I needed to be entirely self-supporting.  I'm proud to say that I have never gone back to them for one further cent... and to Shielbh's point earlier I didn't need any help buying a house, and my brother, who is about to buy his first house, won't need any either.  As best as I can tell that's fairly typical here, but then again our cost of living and home ownership is drastically lower than yours.  Anyway, I also know of other folks who had well-off parents and were also expected to fend for themselves so I don't believe I'm a unique snowflake here... and I'm endlessly grateful to my parents for that policy of theirs and have repeatedly thanked them for it in recent years.

Yeah but what Tyr is talking about is the same as extended college.  The rich parents are backing their kids while they intern to get the jobs they need.  If that was how it worked here I bet your parents would have done that.

As far as the housing thing Britain has this completely insane realestate situation and is not really comparable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2013, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2013, 04:11:55 PM
I can't wait till we invent robot-lawyers
Don't joke till Ide, Mihali and I are safely ensconced :o

Faelinn and ulmont too!

I appreciate the thought, but I'm done for already.  Doc review will be nearly completely automated faster than I reckon most expect--after all, I am more pessimistic and hence realistic about technological unemployment.  I expect clients will insist on automation due to cost, even if it makes mistakes--though really, while machine mistakes might be more egregious, after having QCd documents for almost a year, I doubt completely that they would be nearly as numerous.  Further, I'm closer to the apex of this particular crummy hill than some, in that I have displayed basic competence, which is to say high school level literacy and the ability to perceive color, I'm not up for project manager or similar, principally because such positions are rare and also because I haven't routinely worked the 70 hour week you need to qualify for them (I am hoping for a more permatemp existence however).  So when time's up on doc review, I'll hopefully have some employment outside of the legal field, or my time striving for the lower middle class will be up too. :(

Quote from: JoanThat is , given sufficient time, the economy - including the labor market - should be able to adjust to labor saving technological change

But will it adjust this time?  It cannot, in any conventional means.  I see no road ahead that puts those made redundant by technological progress back to work in a meaningful sense.  The service sector existed, and existed in much its modern form, well prior to deinudstrialization--it was an obvious outlet.  But where is the fourth sector to which we should look?

(This doesn't mean I'm a luddite, btw.  Technological unemployment is potentially the greatest thing to ever occur to the human race since we figured out the germ theory of disease.  But the obvious, inevitable, and fundamental changes to society will, I fear, be fought against at every turn, so that 30, 40, 50% or even greater true unemployment rates will be the rule for a generation or more.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

The only definite way  out I can see is massive population decline and genetic engineering to make sure everyone is a genius who can do something useful with all their free time. :(
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Nihilism is the way of the future.  There's no way forward for civilization.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 24, 2013, 11:10:10 PM

You sure are emo for an omnipotent deity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 24, 2013, 11:15:52 PM
I've seen the future, and mankind isn't in it.  I'm a much better judge of what's going to happen then you are, and that makes me better at judging what is and isn't a good thing to believe.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 24, 2013, 11:15:52 PM

Mythology is filled with emo, vain, insecure deities.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

not getting paid to internships seems to be a matter for the law: change the law so that renumeration for work done is required.