News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever experimented with occultism?

Started by Martinus, January 24, 2013, 06:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2013, 07:13:54 AM
Ok, a question. This thread has 5 views so far, yet no answer. The thread title is pretty much straightforward - it is what it says on the box, as it were. So why click on the thread if you do not intend to post in it?  :huh:
I think that they were expecting a more obvious 'Look at me!  Look at me!' so that we could all laugh at you.  People are a little confused.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

No.

My in-laws are into that stuff. Apparently, a lot of folk Catholics are big into various types of expressly Catholic voodoo. Only used for divination and protection, of course, and so "good" not "bad". 

My wife met a woman in Ukraine who made a living basicially by selling her skills at black magic (such as casting curses at her client's enemies). She thought this woman was very creepy - not because black magic works, but because malice is malice even if it is totally fraudulent. Allegedly, this woman appeared to believe in her own powers (of course, being an accomplished fraud would require such an appearance).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2013, 09:35:50 AM
My wife met a woman in Ukraine who made a living basicially by selling her skills at black magic (such as casting curses at her client's enemies). She thought this woman was very creepy - not because black magic works, but because malice is malice even if it is totally fraudulent. Allegedly, this woman appeared to believe in her own powers (of course, being an accomplished fraud would require such an appearance).

Pretty much every Catholic woman I know believes in crap like fortune telling, ghosts, astrology, etc. to some degree.  Even my wife was fooled by that John Edward douchebag.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2013, 09:50:28 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2013, 09:35:50 AM

Pretty much every Catholic woman I know believes in crap like fortune telling, ghosts, astrology, etc. to some degree.  Even my wife was fooled by that John Edward douchebag.

Well, to be fair, Catholicism is often mixed up with a lot of other folk beliefs - it certainly is for Ukranian Catholics. So believing the one would naturally expose the believer to beliving in the other. 

I like how the character Sargent Harper (who was Irish Catholic) put it in the Sharpe series: "I believe in god the father, god the son, and the 'shee riding the wind".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

I was raised Mexican Catholic. Of course I have. In fact, I still light candles, smudge doors, and sprinkle salt for protection. At this point, it's simply habit, but it also stems from a certain amount of superstition. (I also don't split the pole if I can help it, or step on a crack in the sidewalk.)

I have a tarot deck that I use often (for fun), and I believe that there are energies at play that we don't understand.

However, I do not believe in things like crystal healings, reiki, the chakra, and a variety of other New Age stuff that's out and about. I do believe in the placebo affect with those things, though - and that's real enough for some people.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2013, 09:58:51 AM
Well, to be fair, Catholicism is often mixed up with a lot of other folk beliefs - it certainly is for Ukranian Catholics. So believing the one would naturally expose the believer to beliving in the other. 

I can accept that.  But I'm trying to figure out the "woman" factor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2013, 10:48:17 AM

In my experience, in folk Catholicism women tend to be the enforcers of religious standards generally. The men go along with it, but it is the women who make them do religious stuff like go to church regularly, etc.

Malthus

I do find amusing occultists who believe occultism is cool and rebellious forbidden fruit - when pretty well every Catholic folk-type believer believes in much the same stuff.  ;)

Well, maybe not the tantric sexy stuff.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Pretty much every woman believes in crap like fortune telling or astrology, etc. to some degree. 

FYP

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2013, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2013, 10:48:17 AM

In my experience, in folk Catholicism women tend to be the enforcers of religious standards generally. The men go along with it, but it is the women who make them do religious stuff like go to church regularly, etc.

That's how Roman Catholicism works. Wife are the enforcers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

chipwich

Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2013, 07:13:54 AM
Ok, a question. This thread has 5 views so far, yet no answer. The thread title is pretty much straightforward - it is what it says on the box, as it were. So why click on the thread if you do not intend to post in it?  :huh:

no

merithyn

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

Pretty much every woman believes in crap like fortune telling or astrology, etc. to some degree. 

FYP

:yeahright:

You keep telling yourself that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess