Kohlberg in Action!

Started by Malthus, May 19, 2009, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:14:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:08:26 PM

I was going to congratulate you over the fact that your kid already exhibits a more acute sense of morality than a lot of languishites, but then I realized that it could potentially sound like fighting words, comparing the boy to this cesspool of filth and scum. It's the thought that counts, though, I say.

I thought you didn't believe in morality.  ;)

:lol:

I believe in moralities.

But some are more "acute" than others, right?  :D

I may agree or disagree with his assessment of the necessity to punish the evildoers, but what I was specifically talking about was the consistency of his capacity to judge and conclude what was "right" under the circumstances. Ie applying his moral imperatives in order to separate right from wrong by rule rather than by whim.

Fo sho, he's a tractor man, so his power of judgement must be held to be suspect. I was always more of a trains and sports cars kind of guy. But I will not hold that against him. He may grow up to be a reasonable fellow regardless.

crazy canuck

Wait a few years and you start fielding questions about why people go to war etc.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:30:01 PM
I may agree or disagree with his assessment of the necessity to punish the evildoers, but what I was specifically talking about was the consistency of his capacity to judge and conclude what was "right" under the circumstances. Ie applying his moral imperatives in order to separate right from wrong by rule rather than by whim.

Fo sho, he's a tractor man, so his power of judgement must be held to be suspect. I was always more of a trains and sports cars kind of guy. But I will not hold that against him. He may grow up to be a reasonable fellow regardless.

Carl LOVES trains and sports cars.  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2009, 02:30:44 PM
Wait a few years and you start fielding questions about why people go to war etc.

Because it guarantees citizenship.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

It's going to be an interesting ride all right.

Until he becomes a teen and then, so I hear, it all goes to hell.   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:30:01 PM

Carl LOVES trains and sports cars.  :contract:

In that case I rescind my sole objection. Job well done.

Aside from the curly jew hair.

But it's not fair to blame you for that.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:10:53 PM
The secret is consistency. Anything clearly understood as a punishment and applied with justice and consistency will "work".

I'm starting to learn this myself.  As lazy & inconsistent as I generally am, I've been able to maintain consistency when it comes to keeping my (nearly) 16-month old in line.  His mom tends to bend the rules a bit, to the point where he'll sometimes ignore her when she tells him no, but will always stop (or at least pause) when I raise my voice at him. 

A more extreme example is my nephew, who is a great kid but has subpar discipline and (IMO) slow development, thanks to, among other things, everyone in the family (except for me) bending over backward to keep him from crying or being unhappy in any way :rolleyes: 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:32:42 PM

You'll have it a bit easier, with him being a male.

When girls turn 14, the hell begins.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:32:42 PM

Right now I am in the sweet spot where the boys are old enough to do lots of cool stuff and still young enough that they think that doing stuff with their parents is cool.

I hear that second part will end soon.

Berkut

Jake has been known to ask why people believe in God.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2009, 02:50:20 PM
I hear that second part will end soon.

I still think doing stuff with my Dad is cool :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2009, 02:51:02 PM

What do you tell him?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:37:38 PM
In that case I rescind my sole objection. Job well done.

Aside from the curly jew hair.

But it's not fair to blame you for that.

Carl looks like an Aryan Hitler Youth poster child.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Carl looks like an Aryan Hitler Youth poster child.  :P

Does that mean he will never get invited to join the International Jewish Conspiracy? :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2009, 02:51:02 PM

Yeah, that too.  One of the most challenging questions I have had to field from the boys is "What is God".  The question about how the universe can expand but at the same time have no edge was hard too.