Japan, China send fighter jets over disputed islands

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2013, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on January 19, 2013, 05:29:15 PM
What's that shit about Obama saying "plz don't come here okthxbye" to the Japanese PM? Is the US really THAT much in China's pocket?

I don't see your beet ships on the line hero.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Hungarians aren't allowed in Japan, they steal things.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 04:44:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 03:42:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 03:39:07 PM
If they fight can we stand aside?

Sure.  Treaties are just words on paper.

Is there treaty that says we must protect Japanese claims on coral reefs in the middle of nowhere?
The Senate recently voted that we will.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Josquius

South East Asia is loving this. China's position of manufacturing hub was already shifting to them, this is really going to help speed up the transition.
The future belongs to China- lol. Amazing people are still saying that. 10 years ago fine, but now? No way, the problems are too obvious.

Seems we are dedicated to protecting this uninhabited rock.  Taiwan also claims it, but I guess screw them.
Taiwan just claims it as part of its broader claim to  all of China and parts beyond which it is forced to keep so as not to piss off the PRC. As messed up as that is.
Were it just between Japan and Taiwan a decent compromise could probally be found, for Taiwan its just about fishing rights it seems, which is logical and consistant with history, they have no interest in occupying the islands.
In contrast, Beijing brims with confidence, reveling in the belief that the 21st century belongs to China — with the return conquest of the islands the Chinese call the Diaoyu and the Japanese refer to as the Senkaku as a starting point.

Fixed.
I hate it when nations with their own dodgy version of history repeat it so often the western media begins to take it as fact.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

How does it feel to be taking the side of the Nip ultranationalists, Squeeze?

Lettow77

Things shouldn't really intensify until the upcoming elections in the summer when Abe gets the strength he needs to revise the constitution- meaning there should be just large enough a window of time for me to get in comfortably before war begins. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 10:10:46 PM
I'm not, I'm taking the side of what is simply right. The islands have never been Chinese and this is just part of their well established pattern of trying to claim every small island remotely near to China.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

It's about time we had a war between two big powers.  Ever since the Korean War, it's always been big kids beating up on little kids.

Razgovory

He's gone native.  Since the islands are uninhabited, nobody has that good a claim on them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 11:02:21 PM

He's gone native.  Since the islands are uninhabited, nobody has that good a claim on them.
Its not like they're inherant Japanese  territory or anything like that. However Japan legally claimed them and nobody protested, Japanese people did live there for a while, the Americans took them over for a while and IIRC used them as to practice bombing runs, and then quite strangely once Japan began muttering there might be oil in the area China decided to start claiming them. hmm.....

The senkakus really are pretty clearly Japanese. With the liancourt rocks things a bit iffier but there the country most likely to do something stupid already has done something stupuid so a flare up is unlikely.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2013, 07:49:16 PMWhere's your ZOMG BUT TEH PRC IS REFOMRING now, Dances With Mandarins?

I think you're confusing me with some other Dances With Mandarins.

Kleves

Looks like China is legally and morally in the wrong on this issue. Of course, that could be said about pretty much everything to do with the PRC.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2013, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 11:02:21 PM

Its not like they're inherant Japanese  territory or anything like that. However Japan legally claimed them and nobody protested, Japanese people did live there for a while, the Americans took them over for a while and IIRC used them as to practice bombing runs, and then quite strangely once Japan began muttering there might be oil in the area China decided to start claiming them. hmm.....

The senkakus really are pretty clearly Japanese. With the liancourt rocks things a bit iffier but there the country most likely to do something stupid already has done something stupuid so a flare up is unlikely.

Oh, so then they should be American?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017