News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stan Musial, 92, dies

Started by sbr, January 19, 2013, 08:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

This might be getting superfluous, but if Earl Weaver gets a thread Stan The Man should get 2. :mad:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/stan-musial-the-man-dies-st-louis-cardinals-at-92-01913

QuoteST. LOUIS (AP)
Stan Musial, one of baseball's greatest hitters and a Hall of Famer with the St. Louis Cardinals for more than two decades, has died. He was 92.

Stan the Man won seven National League batting titles, was a three-time MVP and helped the Cardinals capture three World Series championships in the 1940s.

The Cardinals announced Musial's death in a news release. They said he died Saturday evening at his home surrounded by family.

Musial was so revered in St. Louis, two statues of him stand outside Busch Stadium. He spent his entire 22-year career with the Cardinals and made the All-Star team 24 times - baseball held two All-Star games each summer for a few seasons.

IMO, Stan Musial is one of the most underrated ballplayers today.  He wasn't very far behind DiMaggio and Williams, if at all, but he really seems to get over looked any more.

jimmy olsen

Greatest Cardinal of all time.

RIP :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Man makes me realize that say hey kid is gonna be 82 this year.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: sbr on January 19, 2013, 08:14:54 PM
IMO, Stan Musial is one of the most underrated ballplayers today.  He wasn't very far behind DiMaggio and Williams, if at all, but he really seems to get over looked any more.

I'm not old enough to have seen Musial play, but back when I was a little kid, I'd listen when fans in the generation ahead of me talked baseball, and back then, Musial's name always came up when they talked about the best players ever.  Nowdays, he doesn't get mentioned as often.  He's one of the top 20 players of all time, probably one the top 10, but I think what has happened is that he's sort of "second best" in so many ways.  He's not the best outfielder in the history of the NL--that would be Mays.  He's not the best player from the 1940's--that would be Williams.  He has great stats, but he doesn't hold any major records.  You get the idea

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 19, 2013, 08:14:54 PM
IMO, Stan Musial is one of the most underrated ballplayers today.

He's not underrated if everybody knows who he is.  Stats speak for themselves.