News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should Meri report her professor?

Started by merithyn, January 17, 2013, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? Should she?

Absolutely! Teaching manners to cads is far more important than her potential career.
No way! Keeping your head down and your nose clean is the way to go through life!
Don't know what you're talking about and/or frankly don't care.
Wheee! A poll!!

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 18, 2013, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:05:31 PM
I agree with you plenty, and I disagree with you sometimes. I am not afraid to say so, although I am rather dissapointed that you cannot take me not agreeing with you without letting it become personal. That is unfortnate, but it isn't going to change how I respond to what I see.

You aren't just "not afraid to say so", you're willing to take it to the next level and crusade (to use derspeiss's term) and bully until we agree with you. There is no "difference of opinion" with you. There's your way or "YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST TOO CAUGHT UP IN YOUR OWN WAY OF THINKING !!" Only with more spelling errors.

Meh. This is how I am - I don't at all think like that, but apparently I come across like that. I don't buy into terms like "bullying" though - this is the internet, you cannot "bully" someone virtually. You post, I respond. I post, you respond. If I don't agree with you, I am bullying you, but if you don't agree with me, then I should what - shut up or you will tell me to fuck off, and that is MY problem?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I have an opinion, and I have as much right to express is as you do. I never claimed you had to DO anything that I say, I just state what I think. You state what you think. They may not be the same thing. So what? What is there to be offended about?

There is noting in anything I've said that is worthy of taking personal offense - except that I don't agree with you.

Every post you made in that thread was meant to belittle me

That is bullshit Meri. Now you are telling me that MY posts mean? IN he same post you blast me about me supposedly telling you how you feel?

because you didn't think it was that bad. And when I said that, yes, it was that bad TO ME, you then changed tactic to say, "Then you have no choice IF it was that bad but to do something. If you don't, the ONLY reason you wouldn't would be because it wasn't that bad."

That isn't "changing tactics", that is listening to what you say and chaning my view bsed on new information.

I didn't think it was that bad, you said that it WAS that bad, I went back and re-read your post, thought about it, comapred it to me own experiences, and thought "You know Jeff, you've been in a lot of classes with a lot of teachers, and you have NEVER heard one say something like that...that is probably pretty bad, and if she felt that badly about it, then it was pretty bad".

There aren't any "tactics" because this isn't a contest between us, and I don't have a goal that requires me to manuever, unlike Jake. I am just expressing my opinion. You can either agree, disagree, or not care about my opinion, but you don't get to tell me what it is.
I'm not sure what world you live in, but in mine, it's not all black and white. There are a whole lot of reasons why people do or don't do things, and rarely does it all boil down to one.

I don't think I said it did.

I said that IF it bother you that much, and clearly it did, then there are only a couple possible ways to resolve it.

1. Do nothing, and don't let it bother you.
2. Do something about it.

That isn't opinion, that is just stating the obvious. There isn't another possibility here. Well, there is a third choice:

3. Do nothing, but let it bother you, and quit/get distracted/fail the class.

Notice that the third option is the one we presumably wish to avoid, right?

And by the way, I didn't take it personally.

I don't believe you. "Fuck you, Berkut" is pretty personal. Telling me I am calling you sillly when I specifically state that I am not is making it personal. Accusing me of being some incredible ogre is most certainly making it personal.

If your intent was not to make this personal, then "Fuck you Berkut" is, to coin your phrase, a piss-poor way to communicate that.

What I did do, however, was decide to disengage discussing it with you because I got tired of you being an asshole.

Right, but it isn't personal.

"Fuck you Berkut, you are an asshole, but it isn't personal".

Uhh, right.

You don't get to tell me how I should or shouldn't feel

Never told you any such thing.

and what I should or shouldn't do based on what you think I should feel.

Never did that either.

That's not an "opinion"; that's being a dick.

At least you aren't taking it personally.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2013, 05:01:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:48:20 PM
If it bothered you as much as you say it did,
Berkut, do you not see how stating things in such a way can be interpreted by others as questioning the reliability of Meri's account?

I suppose, although I am not questioning the reliability at all - I am making a conditional statement.

IF his statements bothered her that much, THEN she should do something about it.

IF they did not bother her that much, THEN she should not do something about it.

How can I be questioning the reliability of her account? Her statement is about how she feels about something - how can you question the reliability of someones account about how they feel? That doesn't even make sense. I don't have any data to judge how she feels beyond what she says.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2013, 05:00:37 PM
Berkut wins Attritional Victory.

A shame that he rolled so poorly on the Martinus Intervention Table, else I think he could've scored a Marginal.

But I got the bonus Malthus intervention that should have bumped me at least to Minor.

0 rows returned

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:05:51 PM
For what it's worth, I find Berkurpt's attitude much more sensible than the faggot ponytail brigade here.

His attitude is actually what I take issue with.  I mostly agree with his opinion.

Berkut is Berkut. His manner doesn't change.  :berkut:

I don't see myself why all the drama. He wasn't trying to be offensive, until the torches-and-pitchforks mob came after him, far as I can see. The mob is making him out like he's some kind of woman-hatiing meanie, when he's just being his usual somewhat prickly self, same as he is on every topic.  Expecting him to change and be all sugardrops and rainbows? That's just not his style.

Thank you Malthus. It's nice to see that someone is actually reading what I write.

I was getting pretty worried when it was apparently just spicy (sort of) and Marty who seemed to understand what I was saying!

0 rows returned

The Brain

On the one hand this pointless garbage keeps Languish alive. On the other hand what kind of life is it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2013, 05:17:02 PM
On the one hand this pointless garbage keeps Languish alive. On the other hand what kind of life is it?

Best we nuke it from orbit, to be sure.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 18, 2013, 04:11:09 PM
For what it's worth, I find Berkut's attitude much more sensible than the faggot ponytail brigade here.

Kiss of Death Berkie :console:

Well I'm drunk so it could be the reverse. I do find Jacob to be one of the most disingenous and despicable people on this board, though. Hell, I'd prefer derspiess's idiocy.

Funny, I thought it was Berk that was getting drunk after that post about Jacob.

In any event I agree with our resident road warrior - kiss of death.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 04:07:03 PM
For what it's worth, I find Berkurpt's attitude much more sensible than the faggot ponytail brigade here.

His attitude is actually what I take issue with.  I mostly agree with his opinion.

Berkut is Berkut. His manner doesn't change.  :berkut:

I don't see myself why all the drama. He wasn't trying to be offensive, until the torches-and-pitchforks mob came after him, far as I can see. The mob is making him out like he's some kind of woman-hatiing meanie, when he's just being his usual somewhat prickly self, same as he is on every topic.  Expecting him to change and be all sugardrops and rainbows? That's just not his style.

Just because he is is same prickly self (without the ly) doesnt mean we shouldnt point it out when it gets particularly prickly - without the ly)

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 05:08:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2013, 05:01:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:48:20 PM
If it bothered you as much as you say it did,
Berkut, do you not see how stating things in such a way can be interpreted by others as questioning the reliability of Meri's account?

I suppose, although I am not questioning the reliability at all - I am making a conditional statement.

IF his statements bothered her that much, THEN she should do something about it.

IF they did not bother her that much, THEN she should not do something about it.

How can I be questioning the reliability of her account? Her statement is about how she feels about something - how can you question the reliability of someones account about how they feel? That doesn't even make sense. I don't have any data to judge how she feels beyond what she says.
Typically you don't put if statements around conditions that are always true, since that would be silly and redundant.  When stating "If it bothered you as much as you say it did", the implication is that there is a possibility that "it didn't bother her as much as she says it did", which in turn would mean that Meri was an unreliable narrator and over-dramatic in her account. 

That's what I was getting it, and my guess would be that this is also the implication that the folks with pitchforks got from it.  Not busting your chops, just trying to mediate here.  I've had my share of Berkut attack poon over the last 10 years, it's other people's turn to get laid.

The Brain

You know who's silly and redundant? :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

garbon