Have you ever participated in a demonstration ?

Started by Oexmelin, May 19, 2009, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever participated in a demonstration ?

Yes, I helped organize one / many
Yes, I marched / demonstrated
No

Oexmelin

Part of a sophisticated sociological analysis of languish. How many here bothered to show up at political rallies, demonstrations, protests, etc.

Include picketting during a strike. Include Gay Pride in Gay-unfriendly areas. Exclude national holidays / drinking excuses (i.e.: Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, etc.).
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Technically speaking, sorta-- in College Republicans I attended a few events. 

But I voted "no".  Attending public rallies, demonstrations, etc. isn't in my DNA.  Anyway, it's one thing that American conservatives aren't very good at (yet).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I have but it was mainly just to experience what it would be like than any sense of fanatical activisim.

Now if there was a Demo in favor of Arabic Linguists on the other hand...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

syk

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 10:49:18 AM
Anyway, it's one thing that American conservatives aren't very good at (yet).

I don't think any cause is really helped by these.  They tend to give the most idiotic branches of a movement a chance to get lots of exposure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, I have participated in several demonstrations. But they are not really my cup of tea, the nuances and shades of grey in which I see the world are not really compatible with the demo mindset.

saskganesh

yes. helped organise, etc.

it's just one tactic. sometimes people think a protest is the campaign, but it's just one piece.
humans were created in their own image

Savonarola

Yes, I attended an anti-WTO demonstration in Detroit; though only because I was hoping to see a riot.  I was disappointed.   :( 

I got a sign and went to an anti-Kwame Kilpatrick rally with about two dozen other malcontents.  I learned that all community organizers are fashion plates; not just Barack.

I was in the sympathy crowd at a picket of the Oakland Community College.  The labor leaders threatened a hunger strike if their demands weren't met.  It looked like they could have gone on one for a month before anyone would have cared.

The last two don't really count as demonstrations in the strict sense; since no one brought a giant puppet.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Grallon

Back before the Flood I was a zealous militant, student politics as well as regular politics.  Once we even unfurled a banner to protest something or other in the National Assembly.  Since this was not so many years after the Lortie affair, we got arrested  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2009, 10:56:42 AM
No.  Never has, never will.

Even a demo demanding higher salaries for civil servants?

garbon

Yes, although since gay pride in gay friendly areas doesn't count, then I doubt a protest in San Francisco counts (I handed out protest flyers). :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:58:57 AM

Especially in my official capacity.  I'll be fired faster than you can blink.

Weatherman

Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2009, 11:04:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:58:57 AM

Especially in my official capacity.  I'll be fired faster than you can blink.

Syt

No. In fact, when our whole school protested against the 1991 Iraq War I (and two others) refused to go (being 14 at the time). My teacher was less than thrilled.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.