News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Food trends where you are

Started by Gups, January 14, 2013, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

In Wyoming the food scene is mostly "You killed it, you cook it."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Oh, the food truck thing is huge in downtown Cincy.  I don't usually like to break my lunch routine so I haven't tried any, but apparently the Cajun truck has some good food.  Problem is in this weather it would be ice cold by the time I got it back to the office.

Our site manager had a gourmet ice cream truck come out to our building last year.  The ice cream was pretty good but not as great as everyone else seemed to think.  And they had like 5 or 6 people working it-- doesn't seem too efficient when all you need to do is make ice cream cones or dishes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

The food scene in Provo, Utah is pretty bland. Not a whole lot of adventurous appetites here. There is one place in Provo that seems to try to offer 'affordable gourmet' type food. I think mostly the trick is in their presentation rather than their ingredients.

That said....it mostly appeals to a certain portion of the local college crowd. For the rest of us, its funeral potatoes and meatloaf.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jacob

Oh yeah... the "new and adventurous food truck" scene has some traction in Vancouver too.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2013, 04:52:09 PM
Gups, your article mentioned comfort foods but didn't talk at all about any classic American diner comfort foods, like meat loaf and chicken fried steak.  Any of that going on in You Kay, or is all just burgers, dogs, and 'que?

For some reason meatload has never caught on here. I've never eaten it or seen it on a menu. And I've never even heard of chicken fried steak. So, yeak, burgers, dogs, bbq and fried chicken. I'd love to see a trend towards American regional cooking  - po boys, clam chowder etc.

Other  London trends I forgot to mention - ceviche, small plates (i.e. overpriced tapas but from any cuisine), regional, authentic Chinese. 

Pop ups and dining clubs have been going strong for a few years now. The food truck thing was pretty strong as well but most of teh successful ones have moved into their own places. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 06:12:39 PM
No, I don't want to pay 10 bucks for a grilled cheese sandwich.

http://www.ilovegrilledcheese.com/

We already have 3 locations.

CountDeMoney

frunk

We had two frozen yogurt places open... in September.  I didn't get that, wouldn't you want to start in the spring or early summer?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2013, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2013, 06:03:31 PMYeah, thankfully most of those around here have gone out of business.

There were many cupcake shops around? The only one I noticed was the one on Thurlow. I think they have another location on Denman. Other than them, were there others?

It seems like a pretty niche... erh... niche.
Yep, they popped up all over the place.  One even opened up in Edgemont Village but that only lasted a few months.  Two were on Robson at one point - just think about the number of cupcakes one needs to sell to cover that lease payment.

Brazen

It's all Japanese where I work. They closed the local M&S Food and opened another one. I may write to my MP! There's also plenty of Italian caffs for budget coffee, past or toasted sandwiches, of which London has a strong history.

Edit: The places I can't afford to eat round here are "nose to tail" gourmet meat restaurants, and those Scandi scavenged type.

My suburb has just discovered Mexican restaurants 25 years after the rest of London. Besides that, it's awash with pizza places. But of all the outlets, it's always Nandos that has a queue of young folk right out the door.

Gups

Don't you work in Smithfields Brazen? Loads of good places there. You should try the culinary desert that is the City

Scipio

Mississippi is developing an absurd cuisine primarily focused on combining soul food with cajun cuisine.  It produces some really weird shit, including the fabulous fried green tomato BLT with pork jowl bacon.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Quote from: Scipio on January 15, 2013, 12:33:37 PM
Mississippi is developing an absurd cuisine primarily focused on combining soul food with cajun cuisine.  It produces some really weird shit, including the fabulous fried green tomato BLT with pork jowl bacon.

I have no idea what that might be or taste like; Two nations divided by an uncommon diet ?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

A Japanese ramen place just opened in Porter Square (Cambridge, Mass.) and a friend wanted to go a couple of weeks ago.  A tiny little joint with huge lines out the damn door, constantly; pretty impressive.  Tons of (presumably) Japanese student-types eating there, and wacky Japanese instructions on how to order on the window outside to read while you wait freezing your balls off.  The chef screams in Japanese to ask if you want extra pork fat or extra garlic in your bowl.  It is really pretty delicious, if a little overwhelming in its total pork and garlic experience -- it could never be a frequent place, for this American palate at least.  And not exactly cheap (maybe $13.00 for the big bowl with 5 pieces of pork), but tasty, very filling, and pretty unlike anything I'd ever had before (and extremely unlike Maruchen ramen), so it was worth it and I would go back on another occasion.

Other food trends... Southern BBQ has been a niche market in the Northeast for a while (plus decent chains like Dave's Famous), but I see the higher end stuff getting a lot of attention in Boston.  Even the mid-priced places are always packed when I've been there.  I'm sure the local ingredients/ecological practices/animals struck down with a sacred arrow/etc. concept has got to be pretty popular around here.  I definitely saw cupcakes come and go.  Sour frozen yogurt (a la Pinkberry) hit Philadelphia in about 2009, and by last summer TCBY in Charlotte, N.C. had reinvented itself to do that fro-yo by weight racket... no more giant parfaits like the old days.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

In the arena of dubious dietary developments, however, Gluten-Free Living has definitely reached epidemic proportions around me.  I haven't even figured out exactly what food and beverage products contain gluten, but a whole lot of people are getting ready to do without.  It must be just a little bit frustrating for the celiac disease sufferers: while I'm sure they appreciate the new gluten-free options, it's got to be hard to have your legit medical affliction bathed in a sea of lifestyle poseurs.  Like no-prescription glasses-wearers to a much heavier degeree.

And somebody told me, more seriously, that there is no oversight for claiming "gluten free" the way there is for most other nutritional claims, so these options are not necessarily even safe for those with celiac disease.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)