News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Flu and Yu

Started by CountDeMoney, January 14, 2013, 07:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 08:36:14 PM
Did you actually go to a clinic and get tested for influenza in December? Maybe you did get influenza from one of these strains not covered by the trivalent vaccine. Maybe you got an infection with a different kind of virus. Yeah, we like to think that we can self diagnose the flu based purely on physical symptoms - myalgia, fever, chills, etc. but the specificity of those symptoms is relatively poor. A lot of things can cause those symptoms, only one of them is the flu.

Even the CDC says that the flu shot is only about 60% effective. Why would you be surprised that he got it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

C.C.R.

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
Also odd given that CDC lists that seasonal vaccines protect against 3 strains.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

QuoteThe seasonal flu vaccine protects against three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Three kinds of influenza viruses commonly circulate among people today: influenza B viruses, influenza A (H1N1) viruses, and influenza A (H3N2) viruses. Each year, one flu virus of each kind is used to produce seasonal influenza vaccine.

LOL, that probably explains it for me:  I knew that there were three different flu strains, and my body seems to smite two of them and maybe, maybe not catch the third every few years.  When I had my one & only flu shot a few years back, though, I got sicker than I've been in years.  Fuckers probably jacked me up with the one kind of flu that, well, jacks me up...

:ccr

Fate

Quote from: merithyn on January 14, 2013, 09:13:56 PM
Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 08:36:14 PM
Did you actually go to a clinic and get tested for influenza in December? Maybe you did get influenza from one of these strains not covered by the trivalent vaccine. Maybe you got an infection with a different kind of virus. Yeah, we like to think that we can self diagnose the flu based purely on physical symptoms - myalgia, fever, chills, etc. but the specificity of those symptoms is relatively poor. A lot of things can cause those symptoms, only one of them is the flu.

Even the CDC says that the flu shot is only about 60% effective. Why would you be surprised that he got it?

I'm not surprised he got influenza. I just asked because most people tend to self diagnose themselves with influenza based on clinical symptoms rather than go to the doctor's office to confirm. Generally what they're feeling is something called a "viral syndrome" (i.e. chills, aches, fever) which can certainly be caused by influenza. However influenza is just one of many viral agents that can present with those exact same symptoms. I would understand if a lay person inferred that their flu shot didn't work because they got a parainfluenza or coronavirus infection.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 09:52:18 PM
I would understand if a lay person inferred that their flu shot didn't work because they got a parainfluenza or coronavirus infection.

If those make me sicker than the flu, shouldn't they be innoculating me for those?

merithyn

Quote from: C.C.R. on January 14, 2013, 10:08:22 PM
I would understand if a lay person inferred that their flu shot didn't work because they got a parainfluenza or coronavirus infection.

If those make me sicker than the flu, shouldn't they be innoculating me for those?

Seriously. The flu shot is only 60% effective, and there are still a million other bugs out there that you can get that make you just as sick. And they wonder why only 50% of the population bother.

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 07:27:48 PM
Sigh.

Vaccinations are the single greatest development of Western medicine yet idiots like you aren't seen as bat shit crazy. You make me want to root for the Muslims.

Thank god I'm not going into pediatrics or primary care. I don't know how they manage to stay sane with a population as willfully ignorant as ours.

Hey, Fate, are you planning to be a surgeon?

Fate

Quote from: C.C.R. on January 14, 2013, 10:08:22 PM

It's hard to make vaccines to some viruses because we simply can't find an antigen that produces a strong and prolonged immune response. HIV and Hepatitis C are good examples of that. Those viruses are highly adaptable and evade our body's immune system. For the common cold, there are literally thousands of serotypes of viruses that cause it. It'd be impossible to make a vaccine that could produce immunity to all of them. Although there is promising research and trials for a "universal" influenza vaccine that could theoretically cover most if not all of the influenza viruses. We'll have to see how it pans out.

Right now we're playing a probability game. The World Health Organization makes an educated guess as to the most severe and most common types of influenza present in the upcoming season and we manufacture a vaccine based on that recommendation. There are way more than 3 types of influenza in any given season, so people can still get sick with the virus. The vaccine is also not 100% effective as Meri has pointed out. But this method is the best way we have of lowering influenza mortality.

Quote from: merithyn on January 14, 2013, 10:58:42 PM
Yeah, for now I'm planning to go into neurosurgery but I have 1 more year of medical school to go.

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 11:35:13 PM
Yeah, for now I'm planning to go into neurosurgery but I have 1 more year of medical school to go.

Well, I think you've got the arrogant, condescending prick part down. You should probably stop with those classes for the moment or you'll outshine all the other surgeons I've met. :)

Fate

Quote from: merithyn on January 14, 2013, 11:40:47 PM
Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2013, 11:35:13 PM

Well, I think you've got the arrogant, condescending prick part down. You should probably stop with those classes for the moment or you'll outshine all the other surgeons I've met. :)

I can't imagine what a bastard I'll be like after 7 more years of residency training.  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

I've never had either a flu vaccination or the flu.

I think it is over-diagnosed by the way. Over 40 years ago two of my grandparents had the flu, I was genuinely in fear of their lives and it took months for them to fully recover. Since then, in my extended family and my wife's extended family, there have been no cases at all.

sbr

I just got a flu shot for the first time.  The hospital is cracking down and it was either get a flu shot or wear a mask everywhere I go.

Easy choice.