News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Flu and Yu

Started by CountDeMoney, January 14, 2013, 07:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2013, 07:58:16 AM
I've never gotten the vaccine, and never gotten the flu.

This.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

Mandated by Uncle Sammy.

Jacob

Meant to get it this year, but didn't.

derspiess

Have gotten the shot every year since we had the first kid.  Wife has been lazy about it most of the time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I am going next week to some research place where they will pay me $150 to get a flu shot.

My wife set it up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

And did she just take out new life insurance policy on you?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

If they're having to pay you $150 I don't want to know where they're injecting it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Bluebook

Never got one, probably never will.

What I dont get about the US fixation with flu vaccine is why so many non-sick non-elderly get it. From an individual perspective it is far better to have the flu (and then being immune to that strain ever after) than to take a flu shot that may or may not protect you from the flu.

I have not seen any research, but I strongly suspect that all these years of flu shots have really led to a lower basic immunity/immune system  in the population over there.

Barrister

Quote from: Bluebook on January 14, 2013, 01:10:42 PM

What I dont get about the US fixation with flu vaccine is why so many non-sick non-elderly get it. From an individual perspective it is far better to have the flu (and then being immune to that strain ever after) than to take a flu shot that may or may not protect you from the flu.

I have not seen any research, but I strongly suspect that all these years of flu shots have really led to a lower basic immunity/immune system  in the population over there.

Being immune to an individual flu strain is fairly meaningless given how frequently it mutates.

The idea is that you want to stop the spread of the flu virus so that the sick and elderly aren't exposed to it at all.  That's why I started getting them - I had a pregnant wife / young children running around and the flu could be potentially dangerous to them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

From an individual perspective it is far better to have the flu (and then being immune to that strain ever after) than to take a flu shot that may or may not protect you from the flu.

Granted, flu is not the most painful disease known to man, but how exactly is it better to get the flu than get the shot?

DGuller

I can see a couple of reasons.  One is that flu is pretty nasty even for healthy adults.  No need to get knocked out of commission for at the very least several days, if you can avoid it painlessly.  And lastly, healthy adults may be able to weather the flu well, but them being sick doesn't just affect them, it also affects people around them.  Herd immunity and all that.

garbon

I try and stay away from children and the elderly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I don't get it. How is it better to get the flu than not? Being immune to a particular strain isn't a very valuable commodity, given you can only get a particular strain once, and the flu virus mutates quickly.

Also, you guys are seriously understating how miserable a bad case of the flu can be even for a healthy young person. Also dangerous, because even healthy young people on occasion die from the secondary complications - mainly pneumonia.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2013, 01:13:18 PM

Being immune to an individual flu strain is fairly meaningless given how frequently it mutates.

The idea is that you want to stop the spread of the flu virus so that the sick and elderly aren't exposed to it at all.  That's why I started getting them - I had a pregnant wife / young children running around and the flu could be potentially dangerous to them.

I read somewhere (and of course, now I can't find it) that the difference between the flu shot's immunity and a body's natural immunity is that the body will actually develop immunities to the various mutations from a particular strain. The flu shot does not do that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Not had one, not sure I've ever had flu; also when I'm on those rare occasions ill, I'll stay away from other people for a few days after, as far as possible.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"