The morality of city bombing vs. regular warfare in WWII

Started by Ideologue, January 13, 2013, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2013, 01:34:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2013, 09:21:30 AM
Strategic bombing is immoral because it is ineffective.
:wacko:
It never lived up to the claims it made.  Indeed, the strategic bombing offensive actually hindered the war effort by taking resources away from Coastal Command and the Battle of the Atlantic, and wasting them by dropping bombs on the German countryside nowhere near their target.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2013, 03:11:13 PM
Chemical bombs are useless.
Not at all.  Chemical bombs are perfect for obtaining limited objectives.  Ground support and tank-busting are places where chemical bombs really shine, for example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2013, 03:15:40 PM
Not at all.  Chemical bombs are perfect for obtaining limited objectives.  Ground support and tank-busting are places where chemical bombs really shine, for example.

Rarely done in strategic bombing.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
But you didn't say that chemical bombs are useless for strategic bombing.  You just said they're useless.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
But you didn't say that chemical bombs are useless for strategic bombing.  You just said they're useless.

Really, Neil?

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2013, 03:35:32 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
Really, Neil?
Really.  Besides, even nuclear strategic bombing isn't all that useful, because of the stigma.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2013, 07:54:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:49:37 PM
If the definition is doing everything possible then has there ever been an occasion of total war?

Germany after Feb 1942 v USSR after June 1941.

Also, North Vietnam.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2013, 03:42:48 PM
If the definition is doing everything possible then has there ever been an occasion of total war?

Also, North Vietnam.

Congress didn't declare war.

Ideologue

We've discussed this before.  Atomic weapons count as strategic bombing.  They're very effective.  Edit: Stigma aside, I suppose.

Also, leaving aside the direct damage done by bombs at Hamburg, Dresden, Ploesti and elsewhere, the Luftwaffe was destroyed defending the Reich.  Without the threat of bombing, Germany would have produced more bombers and also still maintained a stronger fighter force.  Further, the constant need to deploy its large fighter force exacerbated the fuel issue.  All in all, that war of attrition in the skies over Germany was more important for Overlord and subsequent operations on the continent than marginally improving the results obtained in the Battle of the Atlantic.

(Also, it moved 88s back to Germany and off the Eastern Front, as well as forcing Germany to employ its artillery production capacity in the anti-air mission, instead of arming its divisions with more and better anti-tank weapons.  This is a minor, but not insubstantial effect, of bombing as well.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Die Sportpalastrede doesn't happen until february 1943 and the patriachate or moscow isn't reformed until september 1943.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on January 16, 2013, 08:47:56 PM

Die Sportpalastrede doesn't happen until february 1943 and the patriachate or moscow isn't reformed until september 1943.

Okay.  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
We've discussed this before.  Atomic weapons count as strategic bombing.  They're very effective.  Edit: Stigma aside, I suppose.

Also, leaving aside the direct damage done by bombs at Hamburg, Dresden, Ploesti and elsewhere, the Luftwaffe was destroyed defending the Reich.  Without the threat of bombing, Germany would have produced more bombers and also still maintained a stronger fighter force.  Further, the constant need to deploy its large fighter force exacerbated the fuel issue.  All in all, that war of attrition in the skies over Germany was more important for Overlord and subsequent operations on the continent than marginally improving the results obtained in the Battle of the Atlantic.

(Also, it moved 88s back to Germany and off the Eastern Front, as well as forcing Germany to employ its artillery production capacity in the anti-air mission, instead of arming its divisions with more and better anti-tank weapons.  This is a minor, but not insubstantial effect, of bombing as well.)
The strategic bombing campaign was totally irrelevant in keeping the flow of supplies open to Britain, and that's how the war was won, not some silly sideshow in the skies over Germany.

PDH

I would put forth Paraguay late in the War of the Triple Alliance could be an early contender for a state engaged in total war.  While not industrialized, the mobilization of manpower in the military and women to farm was unprecedented.  Of course, such mobilization led to horrible losses, maybe 60% of the population (and a post-war very highly skewed male:female ratio).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on January 16, 2013, 10:13:16 PM
I would put forth Paraguay late in the War of the Triple Alliance could be an early contender for a state engaged in total war.  While not industrialized, the mobilization of manpower in the military and women to farm was unprecedented.  Of course, such mobilization led to horrible losses, maybe 60% of the population (and a post-war very highly skewed male:female ratio).

That's a pretty good example.  I forgot about that one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017