The morality of city bombing vs. regular warfare in WWII

Started by Ideologue, January 13, 2013, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

The ambit of the Carthaginian state (and other ancient states) is a pretty vague thing anyway.  Was Utica part of the Carthaginian state?  How about Barcid Spain?  Was Qart Hadasht a subordinate of Sur?  If so, was it ever part of the Achamaenid Empire?

In any event, Carthage the city, which can definitely be considered a statelike entity, got fucked up beyond repair.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2013, 02:04:53 PM
The ambit of the Carthaginian state (and other ancient states) is a pretty vague thing anyway.  Was Utica part of the Carthaginian state?  How about Barcid Spain?  Was Qart Hadasht a subordinate of Sur?  If so, was it ever part of the Achamaenid Empire?

In any event, Carthage the city, which can definitely be considered a statelike entity, got fucked up beyond repair.
No question, but I'd ask this:  what role did the women of Rome play in the destruction of Carthage?  If little to no role, other than as tradespeople and encouragers of the men, then I'd argue Rome wasn't fighting a total war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2013, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2013, 02:04:53 PM

No question, but I'd ask this:  what role did the women of Rome play in the destruction of Carthage?  If little to no role, other than as tradespeople and encouragers of the men, then I'd argue Rome wasn't fighting a total war.

I wonder if Sparta might be an example of a pre-industrial society that did engage in total war.  The sole role of men was to prepare for war and the sole role of females was to be fit enough to give birth to warriors -  or at least more females who could do so.

Others (Helots, slaves etc) did everything else.  But I suppose you and PDH would counter that excluding the Others from the war effort by definition means Sparta did not engage in total war.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:27:52 PM
I wonder if Sparta might be an example of a pre-industrial society that did engage in total war.  The sole role of men was to prepare for war and the sole role of females was to be fit enough to give birth to warriors -  or at least more females who could do so.

If the women weren't doing everything they could for the war effort, then it wasn't total war.  Simply being mothers isn't doing everything possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2013, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:27:52 PM

If the women weren't doing everything they could for the war effort, then it wasn't total war.  Simply being mothers isn't doing everything possible.

If the definition is doing everything possible then has there ever been an occasion of total war?

CountDeMoney

What about making baby soldiers?  Sons avenging the fathers, and all that old school stuff?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2013, 03:51:59 PM

What about making baby soldiers?  Sons avenging the fathers, and all that old school stuff?

Also chicks did a lot of the farming back then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2013, 03:51:59 PM

That occurs in every war.  If that's all it takes to make a wara total war, then the term "total war" has no meaning.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:49:37 PM
If the definition is doing everything possible then has there ever been an occasion of total war?

Germany after Feb 1942 v USSR after June 1941.

Bayraktar!

Martim Silva

Quote from: crazy canuck

For the record, Spartan women were also trained physically (something that shocked the Athenians), had weapons training and were fully expected to fight if Sparta was attacked when most males were absent. Also - and unlike the other Greek cities - Spartan women did the hunting for food.

Neil

Strategic bombing is immoral because it is ineffective.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on January 16, 2013, 08:40:14 AM
For the record, Spartan women were also trained physically (something that shocked the Athenians), had weapons training and were fully expected to fight if Sparta was attacked when most males were absent. Also - and unlike the other Greek cities - Spartan women did the hunting for food.

For the record, I think you are vastly over-stating the abilities and position of Spartan women.  I have never seen anything that indicates that they received military training or fought in any wars.  Hunting was the most popular leisure activity of the Spartan men, though it is possible that women did some hunting when their husbands were off at war.

It is certainly true that Spartan women had more freedoms and power than did other Greek women, not least because of the peculiar Spartan customs of having them men dine and often sleep in the barracks rather than with their wives and families.  However, there is no evidence that Spartan women were mobilized for war - or, for that matter, that their lives changed much at all when Sparta went to war.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2013, 07:54:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:49:37 PM

Germany after Feb 1942 v USSR after June 1941.

Can't agree with Germany on this point--there were a lot of things that they could have done but didn't do.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on January 16, 2013, 12:03:27 PM
Can't agree with Germany on this point--there were a lot of things that they could have done but didn't do.
Germany probably couldn't have done significantly more than they did starting in Feb '42.  Before that, they devoted less of a percentage of GDP to the war effort than any other major power, but ramped up military efforts to almost Britain's level (and above the USSR's level) starting in Feb '42.

Bayraktar!