Question to non-Anglosaxons - what language version games do you play?

Started by Martinus, January 11, 2013, 06:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2013, 02:53:44 AM
How do you deem which is appropriate?

"This character is a hideous space monster, so we'll make him Welsh.  This character is a Roman solider so we'll give him Midlands accent, and this character is the Emperor of Japan so we'll give him a Cockney accent."

The same way its normally decided which actors are right for which roles. Its not exactly radical stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2013, 08:02:10 AM

"This character is a hideous space monster, so we'll make him Welsh.  This character is a Roman solider so we'll give him Midlands accent, and this character is the Emperor of Japan so we'll give him a Cockney accent."

The same way its normally decided which actors are right for which roles. Its not exactly radical stuff.

Okay, you pick the ones that appeal to the largest percent of the audience.  So you have Americans do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:37:19 AM

Okay, you pick the ones that appeal to the largest percent of the audience.  So you have Americans do it.

I never said the way of things wasn't logical. America is a larger audience, Americans are less willing to accept foreigness, the way of things is set, etc....
It does however rankle.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2013, 12:19:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:37:19 AM

I never said the way of things wasn't logical. America is a larger audience, Americans are less willing to accept foreigness, the way of things is set, etc....
It does however rankle.

Less willing to accept  foreignness?  You were the one bitching!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 04:24:28 PM

Being mildly annoyed at something on the internet != not accepting it.
And I'm hardly representative of the entire British market.
Just look to the way many American shows are so popular in the UK but the US always feels the need to completely remake British shows before releasing them over there. Often with terrible results.

Incidentally I just started playing Little Big Planet 2. Alway lovely to come across a game which does have British voicework. The Fable games are probally some of the best voiced games out there.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2013, 07:14:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 04:24:28 PM

Being mildly annoyed at something on the internet != not accepting it.
And I'm hardly representative of the entire British market.
Just look to the way many American shows are so popular in the UK but the US always feels the need to completely remake British shows before releasing them over there. Often with terrible results.

Incidentally I just started playing Little Big Planet 2. Alway lovely to come across a game which does have British voicework. The Fable games are probally some of the best voiced games out there.

Yeah, this is resentment is common amongst Brits.  See it all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_series_based_on_American_television_series

Seems that the US isn't the only one who does this.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 07:57:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_series_based_on_American_television_series

Largely game show formats. i.e. cheap ,easy and popular ways to fill up the schedules.
Totally different situation to the many American remakes of British programmes of merit. Much fewer in number overall too.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 11:46:20 PM
Well the UK isn't really a great to begin with.

Is there any foreign country that compares to the glories of Missouri? :hmm:  You seem pretty down on all of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2013, 11:54:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 07:57:46 PM

Largely game show formats. i.e. cheap ,easy and popular ways to fill up the schedules.
Totally different situation to the many American remakes of British programmes of merit. Much fewer in number overall too.

So tell me, how is Law and Order:UK a totally different situation?  You do realize that there is much, much, much more television in the US. So there is naturally going to be more of everything, even copies of Brit programs.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 16, 2013, 12:02:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 11:46:20 PM
Well the UK isn't really a great to begin with.

Is there any foreign country that compares to the glories of Missouri? :hmm:  You seem pretty down on all of them.

Sure.  I find the passive-aggressive resentment from limeys to be annoying though.