Question to non-Anglosaxons - what language version games do you play?

Started by Martinus, January 11, 2013, 06:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2013, 09:37:37 AM
Latin American people are always whining about how the Hispanic (as in Spain and Portugal) dialects  are used.  I am not  sure what a difference this makes for Brazilians but the differences between the Spanish spoken over here and that spoken in Spain is pretty profound it seems.
My impression is the difference between Portugal and Brazil is far, far greater. Spanish is more like English - so they're like Brits moaning about Americanisations or vice versa :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

QuoteWhich British accent should they use?
Whichever is most appropriate to the characters.

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2013, 02:09:15 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2013, 11:56:17 PMgames often take months to be released in Britain after having been released in the UK

:unsure:
UK=US. Woops.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Anyways, those long delays are more the exception than the rule these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2013, 01:18:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2013, 09:37:37 AM
Latin American people are always whining about how the Hispanic (as in Spain and Portugal) dialects  are used.  I am not  sure what a difference this makes for Brazilians but the differences between the Spanish spoken over here and that spoken in Spain is pretty profound it seems.
My impression is the difference between Portugal and Brazil is far, far greater. Spanish is more like English - so they're like Brits moaning about Americanisations or vice versa :P

Every Simpsons' clip in youtube devolves into an intercontinental flamewar over the choice of Spanish used. Personally, I simply can't stand most Latinamerican accents (Argentinian is ok). I'ts like nails on a blackboard thing. Just wrong.

On the original topic, always English versions, except certain cases (German in Silent Hunter for example).
Same goes for movies and shows. Exceptions being Simpsons or Futurama, which are extremely well dubbed and which I started watching long before I had access to the Web.

Zanza

Liep

The only game I remember that had a Danish translation was EU1, and that wasn't very good and covered only about 80%.

So English it is, although I once in a while I set games to French to brush up on it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2013, 02:27:47 AM

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2013, 11:56:17 PMgames often take months to be released in Britain after having been released in the UK

UK=US. Woops.

How do you deem which is appropriate?

"This character is a hideous space monster, so we'll make him Welsh.  This character is a Roman solider so we'll give him Midlands accent, and this character is the Emperor of Japan so we'll give him a Cockney accent."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martim Silva

Singe Portugal doesn't have a great tradition in translating games, I often try to get the version that is closer to the original. Which is English in 90% of the cases. A few French games are the exception.

That said, we've recently had games released here translated in Castillian (like X-Com) and some attempts at portuguese translation (usually games for little kids). As expected, those are mostly left unsold (and made me buy X-Com on gamersgate to get the English version. No way was I going to play that in Castillian*).

The odd exceptions are in console games, where several titles are Japanese. I change them to Japanese ASAP, as English voices for the characters just sound plain wrong.

*: Sometimes dubs can be strange. In X-Com's first mission, for example, Dr. Vählen is supposed to try to speak to a German soldier that has been mind-controlled, and the German accent of the English voice actress is positively atrocious. In the German dub, on the other hand, we get the impression that a German-speaking commander needs to ask the doctor to talk to a German soldier. Just weird  :wacko:

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2013, 02:53:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2013, 02:27:47 AM

UK=US. Woops.

How do you deem which is appropriate?

"This character is a hideous space monster, so we'll make him Welsh.  This character is a Roman solider so we'll give him Midlands accent, and this character is the Emperor of Japan so we'll give him a Cockney accent."

"All your base are belong to us."
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory